Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have formatted my drive and installed a clean copy of XP Home. I am trying to install the cat drivers with my Radeon 9200 card. It says they won't install without a VGA driver first? I'm not sure why this is happening, and its not the first time. I remember having this issue earlier and forgot how I solved it. It was a pain anyway. Any tips for a smooth clean install.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Mike,

Hit F8 during XP boot and select "VGA mode", then install the driver.

There are approximately 8,764,351 threads on this forum with this question :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I have tried this many times, without success. It still asks for a VGA driver to be installed first. BTW it happens the same on both my Intel and AMD machines.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Just a suggestion, but did you install SP1 and DX9 first?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Paul,

Installed SP 1 and not DX9. I was under the impression that DX9 was not supported by that card.

Mike

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
When you boot up and look at the properties of the card what driver does it say is being used?

Also forgot to ask if the adminstrator user is installing the drivers and not just a user?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Radeon drivers need to see a standard VGA driver installed prior to its own installation. Install the XP STD VGA drivers first, then run the Radeon installer.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Mike,

Turn off your machine, physically remove your card and then put it back on.

Boot. Cancel if Windows asks you to install driver.

Reboot and try to install ATI.

Out of topic, is Catalyst team aware of the issue??

It pops up at least once a week on this forum.

There must be some fundamental problems in writing the correct setup, no? :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my driver choices I do not see a generic stnd windows driver. This is PITA! It must be detecting the card first. I'll try to work around that.

Thanks Guys,

Mike

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
This is a very frustrating problem. What makes it all the more frustrating is that the cause/solution can vary. Mike, you didn't mention the exact card or the exact cat version you are working with. You also mentioned that you did solve this problem before but can't remember how. This leads me to believe that my situation and your situation are not the same kettle.

However, for other's purposes, I'll simply provide my experience.

- Sapphire 9600SE

- Cat 3.4 (for interlaced resolutions over VGA out before the latest couple cat releases)

When trying to install the 3.4s, I was met with a 'video driver not found', 'load the standard VGA adpater first' error (also w/ a clean install). I searched all over this forum, other forums, M$ knowledge base and even e-mailed ATI and even started a thread about my problem having exhausted all cause/solution options I found. Note: if I'm not mistaken, I was met with the same 'search, it's all over response'. Obviously, for my particular situation, this was not true.

Finally, a kind soul over at Rage3D helped me out. Here is a link to that help.

Bottom line, the 9600SE was built on the R360 core (the regular 9600 was built on the R350 core). The problem is that anything before 3.8 would not load on a R360 core card. The solution required hacking the driver. Once I performed the hack, the driver loaded correctly.

Just thought I'ld point this out to demonstrate that the sympton may be the same but the cause and therefore the solution can be different and far more difficult than many of the suggestions posted here.

Although this is probably not your problem because, like you said, you fixed it before but can't remember how, trust me, I will never forget my fix.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Bob,

I've seen it with 9000. I've seen it with 9200. I've seen it with 7200. I've seen it with 9600SE.

I checked the thread you mentioned and it is excellent.

But I must tell you that i've resolved each and every time and I never used sophisticated ways mentioned in the thread - mostly because I didn't know about those ways.

It makes me to believe that there might be quite a few solutions, but core problem is the same.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
My experience is exactly the opposite which leads me to believe different issues are involved. I tried every solution I found on every thread addressing this error and none of them worked (many of which were detailed in the linked thread and many others can be found across the internet, including AVS). Not until the driver hack did the solution finally arrive for the 9600SE and the 3.4s.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go figure, I re formatted again for the hell of it. Re boot after install and do all the updates and install DX 9 and media pack 9. Download the latest cat drivers and on they go smooth as silk. No issues installing. But......now when I use Power DVD I get the blue screen of death and restart every time. Win DVD works fine I think. The only thing I did different was DX 9 before install of the drivers. I think I saw something on the reboot problem here. I have got to say why don't the drivers just work? Frustrating. Well at least the drivers installed. thats sad when I'm settling for such low standards of performance :).

Mike

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried it again on another machine. If I install DX9 and mediapack 9 there are no issues with the drivers installing.

Mike

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Actually ATI pointed out numerous times that DX9 is required for the driver install.

mediapack should be irrelevant.

Anyway, congratulations!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.