AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to discern the differences between the different Radeon cards. I realize price and onboard RAM are the biggest differences.

What are the real differences between the:

(getting lost here :^)

Add on top of that there are some Pro models and some LE models. What do those really mean.

I am trying to buy enough to do the job (HTPC with DVD, dScaler via another capture card - i.e. not an AIW, and HD via HiPix, etc. in the future). Games are not important as any card here will do games good enough for my standards.

Does the RAM matter? 64mb vs 128mb for instance.

And what does the higher end card really get me in this equation. I am happy to buy it, if it matters.

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 7000 and 7200 are the same card I beleive, with differences in the outputs the cards support. Both are derived from the original Radeon chipset but lack hardware Tranform and Lighting support.

The 7500 is an enhanced, faster version of the orginal Radeon chipset. It supports DirectX 7 and has Hardware Transform and Lighting. There are All-in-Wonder versions of this card also.

The 8500 is the essentially the Radeon 2 (R200). It has full hardware support for Direct X 8.1 and has 4 pixel pipelines with 2 texture units on each. Comes in four flavours, regular and LE, All-in-Wonder and All-in-Wonder DV. The regular version runs at 275MHz and the LE 250MHz.

The 9000 is derived from the R200. It has full hardware support for Direct X 8.1 and has 4 pixel pipelines with 1 texture unit on each. Has several enhancements carried down from the Radeon 9700, but on average is slower than the 8500. Comes in two flavours, regular and Pro. The Pro version runs at a higher clock speed. Powercolor and Hercules make PCI versions.

The 9500 is derived from the R300 (Radeon 9700), but has a 128bit, rather than 256bit memory bus. It has full hardware support for Direct X 9. Comes in two flavours, regular and Pro. The Pro version has 8 pixel pipelines and runs at a higher clock speed, whilst the regular model only supports 4 pixel pipelines.

The 9700 features the R300 chip, has a 256bit memory bus, AGP8X and full hardware support for Direct X 9. Features 8 pixel pipelines with 1 texture unit on each. Has some kind of MPEG2 hardware encoding assist. Comes in three flavours, regular and Pro and All-in-Wonder. The Pro version runs at 325Mhz, whilst the regular model runs at 275Mhz (I think!).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the description. Now that I know the differences between them, I have a few questions.

It seems the higher models incorporate the following changes (in general):

Higher speed for the GPU

More pixels per pipeline

Higher hardware directx support

Which of these, if any, is important for HTPC applications?

Also, will more RAM (64 vs 128) make a difference?

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cellarboy
(Radeon 9700 aka. R300) Has some kind of MPEG2 hardware encoding assist.
I believe the MPEG2 hardware encoding comes from the fully programmable core. It does not have full MPEG2 hardware encoding, an thus is not able to run Windows XP media center that requires full MPEG2 hardware encoding. I think? Fell free to correct me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.