Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just finished installing my Barco 708 Data, and now looking to put together a HTPC being new to it could some one please confirm if i have the right software for my needs,

Would DVDrom +Radeon VE 32mb dual output video card + DSCALER plus all the other little bits like board, processor hard drive, etc. of cause give me a progressive scan dvd image to feed to my Barco.

The reason i ask is that the Dscaler site seem to mention tv cards, and there is no mention of the Radeon VE, Don't want to get the wrong Video card :confused:

Thanks in advanced

Steve

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does that mean that the DVD rom would connect to the capture card.

Is there any other software that would do D scaling without the capture card

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Steve,

DScaler is for external sources only such as Sky, VCR, playstation etc. Of couse you could also connect a standalone DVD player but you probably won't want to. For DVD playback from your PC's internal DVD rom you need a software DVD player such as the ATI player that comes with the card, WinDVD or PowerDVD.

Jeff

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jeff,

But would any of those programes give me a progresive scan image at the video cards out put, also looking to alter the resolution,

I have Power DVD on my laptop

Just can't seem to get my head round it all the info that about,

Steve

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Progressive scan is what PC video card outputs natively. Scaleling is done by the graphics card to what ever resolution you decide to run it at. So if you set the desktop to 1024x768 then DVD video will be scalled to that.

Jeff

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So Jeff what i realy need is a video card the will output a progresive scaned image and i would be able to set the resolution via the video card properties.

Sorry if i sound i little dumb Iam not realy just new

Thanks for your help

Steve

·
Registered
129 Posts
:)

Steve Welcome!

For film source like hollywood movies, Software players are the best. For video sources like live concerts, anime, etc. you've got nothing to lose to try the standalone DVD player + tv card + DScaler option. Many, including myself, witnessed the DScaler with gamma filter on is better than software player for video.

Happy journey to new AV horizon.

Dan

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by s.morris
So Jeff what i realy need is a video card the will output a progresive scaned image and i would be able to set the resolution via the video card properties.

Sorry if i sound i little dumb Iam not realy just new

Thanks for your help

Steve
Yes, and all VGA cards do that. The image you're looking at right now (unless you're on a webTV) is progressive scan - been that way since we moved to VGA from EGA. The Radeons however, have better picture quality than any others, making them the card of choice for HTPCs.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You can have a look at DScaler FAQ for a couple more infos http://www.dscaler.org/FAQ.htm

Basically, as I say in "card suggestions", no recent vga card with the video-in feature (like the Radeon VE) implements it with a Brooktree/Conexant Bt chipset :(

Good news is that such a card is really not expensive. 100$ is quite a maximum.

Ken Hotte, a fellow avs member, sells a tweaked Bt-based card that seems to be one level above any standard card. See some of his recent analog-sources captures in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=87743

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dpeng
:)

Many, including myself, witnessed the DScaler with gamma filter on is better than software player for video.

Dan,

Where do you access the gamma filter? Is it an on/off deal? If not how do you set it?

Thanks,

John Moschella

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.