AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update: This problem was solved by removing every trace of ATI drivers and control panels and installing Cat 2.5 and it's control panel.

------------------

If your using the DVI to VGA adaptor on a dual head Radeon card it does not give 32 bit color.

The attached pictures shot from a digital camera show the issue.

Picture is of the WinXP desktop background in 32 bit color mode.

First, this is how it should look, 32 bit color with no banding from the VGA head...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And this is how it looks on the DVI to VGA head set at 32 bit color, but banding is seen...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other users have confirmed the issue on different types of cards, 8500, 9700 etc.

If you are using the DVI to VGA adaptor please test and report results with driver and card used.

I've seen the issue with a 7500 and 8500 using Cat 2.3.

You can just use the WinXP pro desktop background to test or VGA.jpg attached to the 1st post above.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't get this problem at all.

R8500 (built by ATI) /w cat 3.0 + DX9 + Win2k SP3

Both outputs are just fine here

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you using the DVI to VGA adaptor or direct to a DVI display?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone offer a reason here, some have the issue others do not?

Can we rule out anything, the adapter, the video card, OS?

Any think of any other tests.

I've tried to deal with ATI on the issue but they just replied with the usual things, reinstall driver, etc, etc, frustrating.

I use 2 displays for video editing, I would like to have full color on both...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Back when I had the Rad8500 128mb Retail, the secondary output was terrible and greatly prone to EMI. Somehow, the secondary external ramdac on that card was horrendous...

No problems like that on my Matrox Parhelia...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I dont think it is a problem anyway?. Just have your projector on the primary display and the secondary display connected to your monitor. If your PC boots up and the projector is not connected then the radeon automatically assumes the secondary input is now the primary display. If you boot up the PC when the projector is on then the projector assumes it is the primary display and your monitor is the secondary display.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a problem for Video editing where you want to have full color on both displays.

It's a widespread issue, and I wish ATI would acknowledge it and attempt to resolve it. I tried many emails with no success, sent them detailed instructions on how to recreate it and all I get is canned or standard responses.

I called them but they wanted me to pay for phone support???

Very frustrating, Mr. Orr or other ATI staff, if you read this and can offer any suggestions please PM.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have a look at the Rage3D forums www.rage3d.com/board you can find a lot of info about this.

I don't get the 16bit/32bit thing on my PC but the secondary output seems a lot more sensitive to other noise.

Do you use HydraVision?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Hydravision.

Here's a small perfect example of the issue.

In 32bit color on the main VGA head looks like a smooth cone,

but in 32 bit color on the DVI to VGA adaptor looks like a series of triangles.

Try it...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lets get some response from those who downloaded the jpg's,

are you seeing the issue or not?

The 32bitcone.jpg above shows it very clearly if you have a Radeon/DVI to VGA adaptor with the problem.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My r8500 has this.

Cat 3.2

Thank you ATI!

T.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ATI RMA'ed my 8500, received the new card today....Same problem.

Tried WinXP with the latest Cat 3.2 drivers and control panel and also WinME.

Strange thing is when the 3.2 drivers were 1st installed, after the reboot the system restarted at 640x480 16bit. I opened the 32bit cone image and no problem.

Then I changed to XGA 32bit, and any new images opened had the issue but the original cone still showed on the screen without issue???

It's a mystery, so far I have not had any luck with ATI looking into the issue.

Post your results...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally solved the issue, or more like it suddenly is gone...

I installed the latest Cat 3.2 drivers and the related control panel. Still had the problem. Uninstalled the control panel then the driver and other drivers it found.

Installed 2.3 with no control panel noticed the issue was gone!

Installed 2.3's control panel, issue was back :(

Uninstalled both.

Installed 2.5 and it's control panel it worked!!!

It seems to be related to the ATI control panel and things left over from old installs.

Anyhow, 2.5 looks great seems sharper on the desktop and finally 32 bit color on both displays.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.