AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are switching between the VGA head and the DVI head, with a DVI to VGA adapter on a Radeon card please check this...

16 Bit and 32 Bit color modes on the DVI to VGA adapter are reversed.

TEST:

Set WinXP to use the classic desktop, with 32 bit color and switch between heads.

EXPECTED RESULT:

In 32 bit color mode, title bars have a smooth color change from dark blue to light blue, in 16 bit mode banding is seen.

ACTUAL RESULT:

32 bit on the VGA head ... all is fine.

32 Bit on the DVI to VGA adapter shows banding indicating it is 16 bit.

16 bit on VGA head... banding as expected

16 bit on the DVI to VGA head... no banding, 32 bit color is seen.

CONCLUSION:

Color modes are reversed on the DVI to VGA head only.

Could someone confirm this happens with their card, or not.

Thanks.

{Using WinXP, Radeon 8500, Cat 2.3}

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the confirmation.

Some use their projectors on the DVI to VGA adapter head, and may not know they are only seeing 16 bit color, when 32 bit is selected.

I've sent a note to ATI support, but am still at the canned reply support stage.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I purchased my DVI to VGA adapter from an A/V supplier as one did not come with my 8500 because it was OEM. Do I have the same problem because the DVI output problem is with the board or am I O.K. because the problem is with the ATI converter itself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are you sure it's the adapter and not the DVI output? The DVI connector outputs both analog and digital video so I'd guess the adapter contains little more than copper wire... Maybe it's the driver having these mixed and the adapter outputs what it's given.

/T

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:
Some use their projectors on the DVI to VGA adapter head
Speaking of which (sorry, OT), I used the DVI to VGA adapter on my 9700 for over a week before I realized that it had signficantly lowered the overall brightness of my projector. I suffered as long as I did because I wrote it off as bulb age. Before long though, I also noticed "tearing" and poor refresh performance in fast action 3D games. When I switched the projector back to using the VGA port, both problems were corrected. I now only use that port and adapter for my 2nd display (a 15" LCD monitor).

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used a DVI flat panel for a while on the DVI head, it did not have the issue as I recall.

I think it's only if you use the DVI to VGA adapter.

Maybe someone with a DVI panel or DVI projector could do the test.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It is probably the analog part of the DVI-I port that is affected. Surely ati could not have screwed up that much on their "premium" DVI digital output, people would have noticed already.....

Andrew

·
Registered
552 Posts
Radeon 9500. Not sure if your control panel is the same if you are not using Catalyst drivers 3.4 and above???? Try it though as long as your selected refresh rate is appropriate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.