AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Re: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4350 600Mhz 512MB DDR2 PCI-Express 2.0 DVI & VGA, will this card play / Decode MPEG 2 Files from Hard drive (created for example by a Hauppauge PVR 150) & output via the S Video port to a TV.& if not do you know of a card that will do this...Please advise.

Thanks in advance

· Registered
16,749 Posts
The card is totally capable of decoding MPEG2 file using standard Hardware Accleration in all recent generations of graphics cards. Whether it does this is not is totally dependent on the application that is "playing" the program. the Hauppauge WinTV application that came with your card will do this for the programs that you have recorded using it.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately wintv 2000 will not output to Svideo there's no AV output on the PVR 150 card, do you know if the ATI card has a player with a Television/Svideo option to play MPEG files, or do these cards just encode / decode every thing seen on the monitor e.g Desktop & output via Svideo to TV, so that they will not play a pre recorded MPEG II file from Hardrive...I've looked @ specs on the ATI site but can't work out exactly what the card does.

Thanks

· Premium Member
16,132 Posts
What input connectors does your TV has? Only S-Video? If your video card does not have a 7-pin mini-DIN connector , you can't send S-video signals to your TV. You need another card having a 7-pin mini-DIN connector.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TV has comporsite i/p as well as SVideo but i'd rather use Svideo, as for video card it's built into Motherboard so there's no AV output. I just need away of outputing MPEG files to an SVideo port via a Graphics card & get the bonus of better graphics as well.

· Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral project /forum/post/16848657

TV has comporsite i/p as well as SVideo but i'd rather use Svideo, as for video card it's built into Motherboard so there's no AV output. I just need away of outputing MPEG files to an SVideo port via a Graphics card & get the bonus of better graphics as well.

Just look for a decent graphis card with a 7-pin mini-DIN connector like this , and you will be fine. (Decoding MPEG-2 is no problem.)

· Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/16850138

Graphics card specifications use the alias "TV-Out" for S-video interface support and the alias "HDTV-Out" for YPrPb Component interface support.

This advice is useless (and even confusing) in choosing a graphics card from the current ATI/NVIDIA lineup. All three composite(SDTV)/S-(SDTV)/Component(HDTV) video outs are unified into a 7-pin mini-DIN connector. The following AMD HD 4550 spec says TV = SDTV + HDTV.

ATI Radeon™ HD 4550 Graphics Specifications

Quote:
Integrated AMD Xilleon™ HDTV encoder

- Provides high quality analog TV output (component/S-video/composite)

- Supports SDTV and HDTV resolutions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.