AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running the Radeon LE and the image is fantastic but far away shots are not as sharp as I would like. I am running a 1280x720P @72Hz refresh on a Barco 808s. How can I get it a bit sharper so that distant images are sharper???

Also is there a firmware upgrade for the LE that makes it like a full blown Radeon?

Any updates on DTS with the ATI player as I have sound drop outs on DTS with PowerDVD.

Thank you all for the feedback.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mark,

Try to search this forum for the update, the link was posted here.

If you will not be able to fined it let me know and I will try to dig it out for you.

As to the DTS drop outs on PowerDVD can you elaborate more on what discs do you get it.

PowerDVD and WinDVD has been working very well for me with DTS material.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob. I take it you mean search for an update for the Radeon LE to full blown Radeon?

The disc was new Jurassic Park DTS that Universal sent me to replace the old one. It had tons of drop outs and I had problems with the video at spots??

·
Registered
988 Posts
Mark,

The changes you refer to will boost performance but won't affect image quality. The ATI player produces the best image quality but still no DTS. Supposedly that's coming soon.... You might want to consider WinDVD which will pass DTS and is not that far behind the ATI player in terms of image quality.

Steve

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Slightly greater sharpness can be procured via removal of the filters on the card. i will take shots of the operation, if I remember.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Steve. Anyone know when this ATI player that supports DTS is coming along?

Ken, I will shot you an email for the mod for the RFI. I did the mod on my MPACT2 and was quite impressed but read here that it was not that noticable on the Radeon?

Any others with 8" FP systems that have a razor sharp image even with distant shots that can give some pointers????

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Ken,

I see you're still at it - modding everything that moves or stands still! ;)

I was told, quite a few months ago, that the ATI Radeon cards didn't need to have their RFI filters removed, and that this was strictly a limited bandwith problem with the GeForceII cards. I had my doubts, as when I strapped my GFIIMX it was quite a vast improvement. I figured that bypassing them on the Radeon might also be worthwhile - even gazed at those on the S-VHS output of my Skyworth, wondering...

Let me know if this would be worthwhile on an ATI 64DDR - if so I'll take your word for it and go for the old trusty soldering iron. :D

TIA

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Ken,

It would be really great to see some pics of your modded Radeon. In addition to the filter mode, do you also have shots of the switch from VGA to BNC connections. I am ready to do this to my card but have been wrestling in my mind with some of the grounding issues.

..Doyle

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Yes i do have such a card lying about..and the guy who owns it is gonna kill me, as it was suppoed to be in the mail. Here's hoping GordF is not looking right now....

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did a search but could not find the link to how to flash the LE card? Anyone have this info?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
It's a four pole filter,and with protection diodes on the LE, so remvoe it ALL, if you want the best the card can do. it's worth it if you value sharpness, and run at higher scan rates, like 1280x960, or 1280x720, both at 72hz. if you run higher, it is even better to remove them. I use this card, on my Marquee, at 1920x1200, at 72hz. It looks great. Of course, the modifcations to the card cost more than the card would ever be sold at.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Nope. Ask Chris Stephens. He knows what it looks like... or at least can guess pretty well. the RF filter mods and the bnc conversion, no problem.. but, Ican't host the images. Just request them via email.

DoyleS:

I have the exact tuboscan power supply you ar looking for.... $50.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mark,

I can't find the web site for the flash files, but I do still have the zip file if you want me to email it to you. I did it on my card months ago and have had no problems.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Matt that would be great if you could email me that!

So tell me more about the BNC connector mod??? How is this done?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick update...

I performed the mod on my Radeon LE for the RFI removal (including the diodes) and I am very pleased with the results on my 106" FP system running at 1280x720P @72 Hz!

Thanks to all who helped me out (Ken!!! ;))

And thank you Matt for the file. I have not flashed it yet, but intend to tonight or tomorrow and will let you know how that goes....

So anyone know how this BNC mod works??????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.