AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently build a HTPC, and everything seemed to be going well. I am using the Radeon LE card with Powerstrip and PowerDVD connecting to a Mits 65908 with a vga to rgbhv breakout cable. I was able to play a dvd at 960x540p (960x540p (HDTV, ATI)=960,20,40,92,540,7,1,15,37350,336

) with no problems. However, I've been reading a lot about the great quality of 1920x1080i(1920x1080i (HDTV, ATI)=1920,68,56,156,1080,22,1,22,73800,344) and 1704x960i (1704x960i (HDTV, ATI, 16x9 Fullscreen)=1704,168,56,270,960,52,31,82,73800,9) so I decided to try those resolutions. I have read both the definitive guide and karnis's guide to custom resolution.

When I switch to either of those resolutions, my HTPC and computer monitor displays about 2/3 of the dvd (the bottom 1/3 is cut off). It is shifted down, with a black area at the top of the screen, and only about 2/3 of the video frame is visible. The desktop displays properly - I can see the start menu all the way to the top of the desktop. However, dvd playback results in only around 2/3 of the image. This happens regardless of whether it is full screen or in a smaller window. The display is good except that I can only see the top 2/3 of the dvd. I have tried several different driver versions for the LE (Can anybody recommend the best one?) and tried to use the definitive guide to fix overscan (although I am not sure if that is the problem). I have been unable to fix this problem.

I have a mitsubishi 65908, but I don't think that is the problem since it is messed up on both my monitor and the HTPC. I read somewhere that I had to use a hotkey in powerdvd to refresh the current resolution to keep this from happening. I did that and the image is still cut off at the bottom. Can somebody please help me out before I pull the remaining hair out of my head? Should I try windvd? Is there something obvious that I am missing?

If you need any further information, please let me know. THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS! Thanks !!

Riff

·
Registered
629 Posts
Riff,

I know how ya feel...

Im running a Radeon 32DDR, and have the same friggin problem.

I think part of my problem may be the fact that Im running Win2K.

I'm using the older Win2K Radweon drivers (not the brand new ones that were just released) and have installed the registry hacks that allow custom resolutions for good measure.

The newer Radeon Drivers forced them into a resolution my Sony HS10 couldn't handle, so I had to haul out my monitor to reinstall the old drivers, and re-set the 960x540p resolution I was using. I think the new drivers would have worked as well, but I didn't want to mess with it at the time.

I can get the desktop to display at 1920x1080i, using the exact timings you listed. However, like you, my DVD image is screwed (WinDVD 3). I tried binding "refresh custom timing" in Powerstrip to 'Ctrl Alt T', which fixes the video for a second or two, but it just "snaps" back to the screwed up 2/3's thing. After pressing the hotkey sequence again and again, it just stops working alltogether.

I also have the same problem with any interlaced resolution, such as 1280x960i......The hotkey will fix it for a second, but it just reverts back.

I'd like to know whats going on too......

What OS/drivers are you using? Have you installed any service packs for your OS?

-Ryan Dinan

·
Registered
629 Posts
By the way -

Have you noticed that certain resolutoins change the colors a bit?

I notice that 480p mode (when the computer starts up) tends to makes reds look funny, and give whites a reddish look...greens are hard to see as well.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
There are two things you have to do to get interlaced DVD to work. First, make sure you're using driver version 7093. As far as I know, none of the newer drivers supported interlacing the overlay.

Second, in PowerStrip's HotKey manager, set up a hotkey for the 'Refresh Custom Timing' command. Then, when you start DVD playback you can use this hotkey to 'fix' the overlay to display correctly.

Unfortunately for Ryan, I don't think any of the Win2K drivers support interlacing the overlay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. It seems you and I have the exact same problem. I am running win2k with service pack 2 and I have tried the newest ati drivers released october 15th (the card came up as radeon 7000/7200 with those) and previous versions (at least 3 others). The newest drivers wouldn't even boot up at 1080i on my monitor at all. So I tried the previous official release. It booted up at 1920x1080i, but again the 2/3rds thing.

Maybe I should try windows 98, although I wanted something more stable. I guess XP is also an option.

Can anyone recommend the best (or at least good) drivers for the ati radeon le for windows 2k?

Riff

Edit: It appears some posts came while I was typing this. Am I correct in saying it is impossible to do 1080i with win2k? Also, I haven't looked at the screen at 480p, but I will check after work to see if I have the red problem as well.

·
Registered
645 Posts
For reasons that escape me the newer ATI drivers reset the video scaler, so even when PowerStrip programs it correctly for interlacing, the ATI driver resets it instantly back for progressive output - that's why you see only the top half of the video.

This wasn't the case with older drivers, so the problem can and hopefully will be fixed soon.

(A bit of good news: interlaced *gaming* newer worked before with the Radeon, but it is now possible with the latest PowerStrip 3.03 beta.)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi Ashley,

Right now, Im using the brand-new 3276 Win2K drivers for the Radeon. Now I can't get interlaced resolutions to display correctly. The Radeon will accept them (1920x1080i for example), but when I switch to it, it looks like it repeats a section of the desktop over and over horizontally, in a vertically decreasing diagonal pattern. It's hard to describe. Basically, it's garbled, and unusable. The mouse pointer however, is fine.

Before, when using the older official Win2K radeon drivers, I could get interlacing to work for the desktop. Should I switch back, or first try the new beta of Powerstrip?

Thanks for all your help!

-Ryan Dinan

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RyanDinan
Riff,

I can get the desktop to display at 1920x1080i, using the exact timings you listed. However, like you, my DVD image is screwed (WinDVD 3). I tried binding "refresh custom timing" in Powerstrip to 'Ctrl Alt T', which fixes the video for a second or two, but it just "snaps" back to the screwed up 2/3's thing. After pressing the hotkey sequence again and again, it just stops working alltogether.

I also have the same problem with any interlaced resolution, such as 1280x960i......The hotkey will fix it for a second, but it just reverts back.

I'd like to know whats going on too......

What OS/drivers are you using? Have you installed any service packs for your OS?

-Ryan Dinan
Try using DVDGenie and setting Force Weave in the video settings for WinDVD. I had this same problem too and changing this setting from Auto to Force Weave fixed the problem for me. You still need to do the Refresh Custom Timings, but will only need to do it once, when the DVD starts up and starts to display something (like the FBI screen).

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.