AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The LE version was a card produced for the Asian market with slightly downgraded Radeon chip. The card produced ended up being sold in the US in addition to Asiz. In many ways this card was just as advanced as a standard Radeon SDR card. All it took was a registry hack to enable the Hyper-Z technology, but cost about the same as the Radeon VE which had not so great performance in comparison.

So, it's not surprising that after the supplies of LE cards had sold out, there would not be another production run. I guess too many value shoppers bought this version of the card rather than a higher priced Radeon SDR. This cuts into profit margins since it made the higher priced Radeon SDR cards seem over priced.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Okay, I'm not here to promote or anything. Just trying to help out. We still have a few LE's left at the store.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
17 Posts
Perhaps an oversight, i.e. SDR instead of DDR, but the LE is essentially a 32DDR without a fan. I have both and they perform identically.

Bill

·
Registered
345 Posts
At this point, the 32SDR version is about as cheap as the LE was, so there's really no need for it anymore. Just buy a 32 SDR; if it has a fan on it, just disconnect it, and maybe underclock the card if you're paranoid.

·
Registered
599 Posts
i too searched for LEs.

i cannot recommend AberdeenInc as they took my money even though I cancelled the order before it shipped, and have not credited me after 1 week - they stink. they may show up if you search for "radeon le" on cnet.com

computergeeks has an older model VE for $52, and there is a $20 rebate until Oct. 31 - $32 net isn't bad. (its not the DDR version, but still supports 2 monitors - and has some difficulty with win2k - see the product notes on their page .

Perhaps Kei remembers these older cards and can say if they will work.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
jaymer,

Indeed the 32MB DDR will work, but we stopped using it because we could no longer purchase it consistantly from our vendors. We substituted those systems to the 64MB version. Never used the VE because of reports of prior problems with PowerStrip in the past.

The rebates are good for "retail boxes" only. Keep in mind that the rebate is $50 on the 64MB version, which effectively brings the price down a little over $100.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___This page should help you find one if you are still interested in them. The problem like any other is that the newer 7200 – 8500’s are now released and even the Chinese OEM will more than likely be forced to produce a variant based off the new chipsets … Be careful however in that there are SDR and DDR variants including bit width to choose from and not all vendors are explicitly explaining the differences.

___Joe, the SDR based retail versions are not the equivalent of the DDR based “LE†as well as having a fan that is quite loud vs. the rather large GPU HS-non-fan silent “LE’sâ€.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.