AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to use the MAC/PCI version of the Radeon in a PC? I'd like to get a PCI Radeon but DDR sounds better than SDR.

It seems to me the hardware should work but maybe the drivers won't?

Mark

·
Registered
179 Posts
The roms on the cards are different - I have heard of folks flashing the roms, but only to make a mac radeon out of a pc radeon. Do a search in this forum for info:
http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/cgi-bin/f...ypes)&number=2

Although I don't know why you couldn't flash a mac card into a pc card. Also (at least on the agp version) some of the hardware (connectors) are different.

If you are only using the card for ht then I don't believe the ddr ram should matter much.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uncledeathmonkey,

Thanks for the link! I think it has discouraged me from trying this as it looks like some hacking will be required to change from SDR to DDR. And then, the drivers might actually override things anyway.

I forgot that MACs used Open Firmware so their PROMs have Fcode and are totally different. Flashing the ROM wouldn't be so bad but I thought the speed improvement might be worth it for games but now it looks like too much work and not that great a chance of success.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.