AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new HTPC and was wondering which card is better the Radeon or the Elsa gladiac ultra, and why?

Thanks,

Cary

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am not an expert, but from what I have read:

Radeon - Great picture quality, problems with compatibility and drivers. Some people feel it is worth the effort for PQ others don't.

Elsa - I have the Leadtek Ultra, and it is extremely fast. If you plan on playing games, or don't want to deal with compatibility, I think this is better.

In the end, you have to pick what is most important. If it is Picture Quality, then Radeon seems to be a favorite, although it is more complicated to set up.

A search like "Radeon vs. Geforce" probably would turn up a lot of results.

JD

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JD, I will Post Radeon v.s. gforce.

Cary

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used Elsa Gladiac Ultra prior to ATI Radeon DDR64. If you are into 3D games go with Gladiac Ultra, or better yet, go with the new Elsa with Nvidia GeForce3.

But, if you are into Home Theater, with data grade display capability (CRT or digital) then go with ATI Radeon. The PQ improvement is not subtle.

Then again, there are factor of compatibility. ATI radeon is relatively difficult to implement, do search and you'll find many tread discussing "trouble" with ATI Radeon.

I think is a consensus in this forum, ATI Radeon is the choice for PQ.

regards,

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking for 98% DVD's, 1.5% Dish, and maybe .5% games. My main concern is DVD picture quality, I could easily suffer with lower game quality for a better movie.

Thanks,

Cary

·
Registered
884 Posts
I can tell you that the improvement in PIQ is almost day and night comparing to my old Matrox G400 card.

Using the Radeon LE with Win DVD although not touted as having as good a PIQ as the ATI player is still a dramatic improvement in IMO .

I uninstalled my old Matrox and installed the Radeon after setting custom resolution for my Sony 400Q I was able to even use my old YXY settings. I never made the upgrade to the Elsa Gladiac trying to be satisfied with the Matrox. Now I am glad I waited .Wow what an improvement for $77.00 shipped. Buy the way I use the HTPC with a Hipix card for HDTV and I have to say that some of the DVD transfers are more close to HDTV now.

I am not a gamer but at $77 its worth a try. I think that most of the problems relate to the ATI software player . The standard driver 7075 that is on the ATI site worked well with Powerstrip 3.0 for me .

Good luck . By the way when Vern Diaz speaks I listen and he seems to like this card.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.