AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember that there were some drivers that let you have overlay on two displays without the annoying Theater Mode (which means that you will only have the overlay full screen on the second display, without any controls and such). Am I right? If not, is this possible via a registry tweak or something like that?

Hope you can help me, guys (and gals)!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I've never been able to do 2 overlays at once on my Radeon VE. Either no overlay on both heads or one overlay at a time on either head.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, my VE (under WinXP) gives me Theater Mode upstairs and regular view downstairs, but I'd just like to have regular view both places...

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Mastif,

I don't beleive the VE can do both overlays at the same time in any circumstance. It's not a driver issue, it's the circuitry on the board itself. From what I can recall, even the newer Radeon dual head cards can't do it either, but it may be worth a search.

Chris

·
Registered
455 Posts
Maybe I'm confused to the terminology - but my radeon 7500 under win2000 allows me to output the full display to both my 21" CRT and the Projector. But if you mean independent adjustments to each displays interpretation of the overlay - then no, I do not have that control either.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, sir. I've got a Radeon VE, and I only need overlay on both displays (TV (as secondary) and projector (as primary)) with full controls in the DVD/DiVX programs (in Theater Mode) I can only see the buttons and bars in the primary display, while the secondary display only shows full screen overlay.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If your display is jerky then you're not using overlay on both screens. As far as I know, Radeon VE can't do overlay on both heads. Matrox can I believe. You can have DVD playback image on both heads on VE but it's not smooth due to not using overlays (PowerDVD XP bug). If you're having smooth DVD playback imaging on both head with Radeon VE then you're one lucky man.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In that case I'm lucky. It's silky smooth. :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey
You can have DVD playback image on both heads on VE but it's not smooth due to not using overlays (PowerDVD XP bug). If you're having smooth DVD playback imaging on both head with Radeon VE then you're one lucky man.
Maybe that's my problem with PowerDVD XP on my dual-head 7500. I notice it outputs to both the monitor and the RPTV but is jerky (better at 1440x480 than 720x480 but still not perfect). I wonder if turning off the monitor during playback will fix that?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing I don't get: Why in the wide world of sports would you use PowerDVD on a Radeon, and not ATI's Ravisent player which has superior picture quality? I use ZoomPlayer with ATI's 7.6 and PowerDVD XPs Default Direct Sound Device (and ZP's "External" settings that forces Cyberlink's audio filter to SPDIF). That has killed all synchronisation problems as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.