AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get some help on getting a Radeon working.

It seems that when I run the ATI 7.1 player with a Radeon VE in mode 2 (full CPU quality in DVDGenie) everything runs fine. When I follow the Karnis recommendation to run as an ATI128, the player either: 1)Hangs with driver 7075, or 2) With all the beta drivers I've collected, the player gives an error that playback failed (audio in use, overlay not available, not enough video memory).

With the 7075 driver, most DVD's will start but hang after one or two screens (regardless of whether or not sound starts). Again, all DVD's play fine with the Full CPU Quality setting in DVDGenie.

Does this issue have to do with the VE? My understanding from perusing all the posts here is that the VE provides the same performance with DVD playback as all the other Radeon variants? BTW: It hangs using either port (VGA or DVI).

The Radeon and sound card (Vortex SQ2500) have their very own IRQs, this is a clean install of Win98SE, nothing else is running, I did not reinstall WinDVD, PowerDVD, etc. blah, blah, blah.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System specs:

Pentium 667

SuperMicro PIIISCD (current BIOS)

Intel 820 chipset

128mb PC100

Radeon VE

5400 IDE Hard Drive

Hitachi 8x DVD Drive

Proxima DX3

NEC 17 inch monitor

·
Registered
229 Posts
This one sounds pretty nasty. No one seems to be jumping in here though, so I'll take a stab at it.

Now, based on other postings on this forum, there is an issue or two specific to the Radeon VE edition.

The main issue seems to be lack for custom resolutions (which Steven [email protected] reportedly knows about, whether this is a Powerstrip issue or an ATI driver issue though, I don't know).

Checking out this topic shows that some people have had sucess with the Radeon VE: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/010488.html

I honestly don't have any solid advice for you except perhaps after my posting more people will jump in here.

The only thing I could suggest.. try a clean install of 98SE, and install only the drivers & MMC directly off the CD that shipped with your card (presumably ATI 7.0).

Try all that at plain 640x480 (ie. don't even install Powerstrip or DVDGenie) and if a raw 98SE install with MMC still doesn't work at standard 640x480; it pretty well rules out software configuration issues.

PS. Have you thought this could be an issue with your sound card? If you try the above suggestion, avoid installing your soundcard drivers at first and see if that works. If you have a genuine hardware problem, the only way to be sure is to eliminate all contributing factors.

------------------

André Dalle

"How I learned to stop worrying and love Rebooting."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dirk,

Thanks for your response.

I finally had a chance to struggle with this painful combination of video card, driver, and player (err, ATI

"stuff") yesterday.

I tried another sound card, different drivers, etc. but to no avail.

I replaced the Radeon VE with a 64mb DDR and now the setting (from Full CPU Quality to ATI128) works (currently using the 7075 driver set). My question is: Why doesn't it look that much better. I would say that color may be "slightly" better (by about 3%), but motion isn't any better to my untrained eye. I don't see slow pan dither or quick motion any smoother at all in either 60 or 72hz. Edges of fonts don't look much better.

What exactly should I be seeing that is so different to cause me all this grief? I guess I just don't get it. Can anyone enlighten me?

JF

Pentium 667

Intel 820 chipset

128mb PC100

Radeon 64mb DDR

5400 IDE Hard Drive

Hitachi 8x DVD Drive

Proxima DX3

NEC 17 inch monitor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also have mentioned that I checked that the registry settings were indeed set and that ATI's control panel hardware assist was turned on.

JF

Pentium 667

Intel 820 chipset

128mb PC100

Radeon 64mb DDR

5400 IDE Hard Drive

Hitachi 8x DVD Drive

Proxima DX3

NEC 17 inch monitor

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status