AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my Mits HD set calibrated. The tech used an HD signal generator to do it. When I run the HTPC into it everything is too red and a way too dark. The HTPC looks fine on other monitors (computer monitors that is)

Did the tech screw up (he's comming back this afternoon to troubleshoot) or is the the Radeon All in Wonder? The TV?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
ianken,

I'm very interested in what happens when he comes back. Please post. I'm sure you'll ask him about the HTPC and maybe there is some way to optimize your display for that type of input. I don't know, but I have been thinking about getting my projector calibrated.

Regards,

John Moschella

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
That's why you should always calibrate your system using your source equipment.

As far as the radian being to dark, is that using all sources or just on dvd playback.

For dvd playback if you are using the ATI version 7.1 dvd player you have access to all your picture parameters including gamma.

------------------

Alan Gouger
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
172 Posts
This could also be a red push issue that the Mitsubishi sets have. There's a Mitsubishi forum at the Home Theater Spot and they talk about the issue with pictures. The one guy at the site actually made an attenuator that you put on the red part of the component input that eliminates this problem. I ordered one from him. He charges $35 and that includes shipping. Here is the link:
http://www.***************.com/cgi-b...&f=47&t=000058

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger:
That's why you should always calibrate your system using your source equipment.

Alan,

I completly agree with this statement, however one needs the equipment to properly set the gamma and everything else. You can't do this by eye with VE or AVIA. Also the Radeon controls are terrible, there are no numbers and the slider clicks are big steps. I don't think that you can use these controls for any type precise calibration. My feeling is that the display controls for gamma etc. should be used preferably with the source equipment.

Do you know if an ISF tech will calibrate your display settings using the source equipment?

John Moschella

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ISF Guy returned and when he learned I had the HTPC up and running he calibrated off that instead of his "crappy HD signal generator" (his words, not mine). And all is well.

The only problem he ran into was that the brightness setting is shared across inmputs. I suggested he use the cuts and drives to adjust it (a suggestion off HT Spot) but he said no, that would hose other things. So he set the HTPC input correctly and on the 480p input I just have to use the user control to notch it down a bit.

All is well. DVD at 1080i kicks ass. C-Band through the iScanPro is mind numbingly good.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
ianken,

Please let us know what video card your using and is the calibration that the ISF guy did specific to a certain software player like WinDVD or the ATI player. If its the ATI player I'd be interested to know what settings you used for the ATI player controls to do the calibration.

Thanks in advance.

John Moschella

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is it expensive to have an ISF technician to your house? I wouldn't even begin to know how to contact one or if the price they charged is fair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.