AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the bug where when I switch to timeshifting mode on the TV app., the display freaks out. Exiting and restarting the program in timeshifting mode fixes it. I know there was a discussion of this a while ago, but I can't seem to find the thread.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a fix for this. It didn't start until I upgraded to 7075 drivers; would another driver fix it? I am hesitant to just randomly install different drivers, since everything else is working well. This is a minor enough issue that I'd rather not break anything else trying to fix it.

BTW, the reason I'm thinking about this now is that I think it may be related to another anomaly in the TV display. When in timeshift mode, I notice that "live" video is only slightly degraded vs. true live TV mode. Basically, just enough that I know I'm in PVR mode. However, when I pause for a while and start viewing again, there are lots of horizontal artifacts in the video.

At first I thought this was just a result of it having to record & playback at the same time. But normal recordings made while watching don't display these artifacts. Also, I noticed that if I switch into PVR mode (thus invoking the bug), and then pause&playback, the video (well, the half of the screen I can see) doesn't look any different than when I'm watching the pseudo-live playback. So now I think that the workaround for the original bug may be causing the anomalies I'm seeing. Anyone have any ideas?

------------------

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow. -Ivanova, B5

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So is that a no? I've upgraded to 7089 drivers, but the problem is still there. Is nobody else having these problems, or is there just no fix for them?

BTW, I still can't find the thread that mentioned this; maybe it was in a different forum. I've searched the FAQ & archives, but to no avail.

Thanks,

DCheesi

------------------

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got the same quality issues that you're having without the bizarre artifacts. ATI got back to me (can you believe it?, they've actually been responding in about 2 days as of this past week and responded to all of my past queries too) about this problem and said something along the lines that when you're in TV-On-Demand mode but watching live TV that the capture doesn't have as much CPU power as it needs to display in live quality because of the encoding it's doing in the background. Sounds funky to me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess that makes sense. If all I had to worry about was that small performance degradation, I'd be a happy camper!

What driver version are you using? I didn't have problems with the original CD drivers (although the overall quality was worse), just with newer drivers.

I'm reluctant to contact ATI tech support since I'm currently running beta drivers, but I suppose I could say I was still using the "supported" 7075, which had the same problem.

Thanks!

DCheesi

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.