AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a favor from all you Radeon owners....can you email ATI and tell them to add 1280x720 as a standard resolution on their next driver update!!!

I realize that you can make a custom one from Powerstrip, but there have been some issues each time a new Catalyst driver comes out, so if I don't have to use Powerstrip it would make life easier for a lot of us. :D

http://apps.ati.com/cservice/webformcontact.asp

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Hmmm. I had 1280x720 has a standard resolution on my Sapphire 9600 card using catalyst drivers. Even it's not a standard resolution, it should be an "unlockable" resolution. On my old 9000 card all it took as a one line registry entry rather than dealing with Powerstrip.

·
Registered
716 Posts
ATI people and their woes with (and without) powerstrip make me scared to upgrade, since I was considering the 9800p with tax return money. My nvidia ti4400 works like a charm with older drivers, doesn't even need powerstrip at all!

YIKES WHATS UP!!! :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah,

I loved Nvidia. I only got a Radeon, because that seemed to be the video card of choice in the HTPC forum. Nvidia has 1280x720 standard on their drivers, so you probably just use Powerstrip to fine tune the overscan right?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Here's a link to everything you ever wanted to know about Radeons and the Registry. Insert usual disclaimer about how you can seriously f- up your computer messing around in the registry, so don't do it, and don't blame me if something goes wrong. The info on enabling the hidden resolutions is on the 5th page "additional settings"

http://www.rage3d.com/radeon/reg/

PS - This doc is a bit old and doesn't claim to work with WinXP. I used the info on my XP machine, but, again, insert disclaimer here and don't blame me if this goes badly.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I only use powerstrip for the custom monitor driver. I don't actually use it for anything else, since overscan doesn't bug me and my nvidia drivers run 1280x720.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
use rage3d tweak, go to the custom displays tab and click on the dot next to 1280*720 and reboot voilla it will be there until you remove rage3d tweak.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have been using ATi cards since the Radeon LE days and they have never ever given me trouble....Now I have a 9500Pro card and no TI4400 can even hope to keep up with that..........

Quote:
Originally posted by Komoto
ATI people and their woes with (and without) powerstrip make me scared to upgrade, since I was considering the 9800p with tax return money. My nvidia ti4400 works like a charm with older drivers, doesn't even need powerstrip at all!

YIKES WHATS UP!!! :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by YeuEmMaiMai
use rage3d tweak, go to the custom displays tab and click on the dot next to 1280*720 and reboot voilla it will be there until you remove rage3d tweak.
Ok...I did this and the 1280x720 works but is not widescreen. What gives? It looks how it would look on a typical monitor, stretched vertically (or squeezed horizontally). When you guys selected this, did it automatically come out as a widescreen or do you have to tweek it with Powerstrip?

The one good thing is that, if I have to use Powerstip to get the 1280x720 wide, I can now force 800x600 to a specific working refresh rate.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
What really could be used is a stripped down version of Powerstrip. It gives you everything and the sink. All we need is the sink, just a program that will allow you to add a customer resolution to the monitor driver and that's it. A one screen wonder. But no we have this program that wants to overclock your system among other things we care not to have to make things difficult for many...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HorrorScope
What really could be used is a stripped down version of Powerstrip. It gives you everything and the sink. All we need is the sink, just a program that will allow you to add a customer resolution to the monitor driver and that's it. A one screen wonder. But no we have this program that wants to overclock your system among other things we care not to have to make things difficult for many...
100% agree

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Now I have a 9500Pro card and no TI4400 can even hope to keep up with that..........
I must've missed where I said it could. But as far as hdtv troubles with ati cards, go look around the htpc forum. It's not like I made it up. All I said was my card hasn't been a problem, but a lot of people are complaining about the ati cards, which made me wary to upgrade to an ati card. Reading comprehension is a fading skill.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone?...I got Rage and the 1280x720 works but is not widescreen. It looks how it would look on a typical monitor, stretched vertically (or squeezed horizontally).

I am using a projector which is more like a monitor than a typical HDTV.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You where implying that ATi was inferior to Nvidia

"ATI people and their woes with (and without) powerstrip make me scared to upgrade,"

scared to upgrade? your technical comprehension and computer tweaking abilities must be really bad....

How difficult is it to follow instructions that are available on this forum for getting ATi to work with HDTV?

There are plenty of people who have problems with nVidia

go check out nvnews viahardware anandtech, etc and you will see that there are way more people who have problems with nVidia hardware.........

I just love it how you pull stuff out of your arse when it comes to things like that.........

Lets state some facts"

1. Nvidia cheats (using optimizations that most developers consider invalid bvecause the rendered output is NOT what they intended) on all of the popular benchmarks and games. It is only after a game is released for some time do you get hacked drivers to enable the speed at expense of IQ. ATI runs all DX9 code extremely well right out of the box.

2. Offeres substandard image quality when running at framerates competitive with ATi's,

3. Inferior DX9 performance on non pupular games

4. You cannot even tweak amd redistribute their drivers without a corporate lawyer comming down on you for it. (just ask Omega).

5. Unlike ATi;s drivers where you can actually use programs to disable and enable certain driver code, Nvidia's drivers are encrypted and you cannot use any driver evaluation tools to enable or disable driver code for testing purposes.

6. Who does not offer true trilinear due to the massive performance hit altough they promised it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Komoto
I must've missed where I said it could. But as far as hdtv troubles with ati cards, go look around the htpc forum. It's not like I made it up. All I said was my card hasn't been a problem, but a lot of people are complaining about the ati cards, which made me wary to upgrade to an ati card. Reading comprehension is a fading skill.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.