Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boo...

I'm having some trouble with a Radeon VE under Windows 2000. I've got two heads setup right now and all seems pretty acceptable with regards to the resolutions, hotkeys, etc. Unfortunately, when I play a DVD under ATI DVD, I can't go fullscreen without the bugger crashing and rebooting on me. That's pretty annoying to say the least.

In addition, the card doesn't always turn on one of the monitors when it reboots. I actually have to wait for Windows to come up before the monitor turns on -- or I turn off the computer and turn it back on and sometimes the card will turn on a monitor. Kinda like flipping a coin.

Any advice would be appreciated. Happy Halloween!

Cheers,

Jake

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Jake,

I don't have any advice but I have seen the exact rebooting issue with ATI player. In addition, when I was able to get audio and video in Win2K with the ATI player, it was not synced...the video would fast-forward for a few seconds and then the video and audio would play but not synced. I have read other post from other members with the same problems with ATI player but have not read any solutions for it.

"In addition, the card doesn't always turn on one of the monitors when it reboots."

Is that when it crashes and reboots or when you are actually controlling the rebooting process?

Rick

·
Registered
179 Posts
The fullscreen bug with win2k and the ve card is a known issue at ati...

When I was setting up my htpc I started with a ve card, ran into this problem, bloodied my skull from pounding my head against the keyboard for 2 days. I finally broke down and called ati tech support - in canada! (could have bought another card for the price of that call). Anyway, when all was said and done, the *third* tech I got on the phone says "oh that, yeah it's a known issue. you should probably get a different model radeon - there's no fix for that bug yet."

So now I have an all in wonder radeon and the dvd player works under win2k.

Since I have now upgraded to XP and Powerdvd XP looks so good - I'm thinking about trying the ve card again cause I miss the 1024X768 support for the tv out. (aiw radon only has 800X600 support on the tv out - *blegh*)

I really just want a good gaming radeon with 1024X768 support on the tv out *sigh*.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I had the same issue with an LE. I am not sure if it was loading the latest "official driver" - mid October 2001 or running DVD player 5.0 that did the trick. Unfortunately 5.0 is no longer available. Word is that MMC 7.5 will be out soon. Hopefully they will include the DVD player in that one.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
In addition, the card doesn't always turn on one of the monitors when it reboots. I actually have to wait for Windows to come up before the monitor turns on -- or I turn off the computer and turn it back on and sometimes the card will turn on a monitor. Kinda like flipping a coin.
For me, my primary display is never enabled after booting into W2K. So I have created a Radeon Hot Key to enable the Primary display. It's not too bad with the hot key set up.

I don't have your reboot problem, but I'm using WinDVD. I haven't dared try the ATI player.

What version driver are you on? I'm on 3276.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.