Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

I've searched the forum and can't find any information about setting up the Radeon VE for dual-head operation with different resolutions on the two monitors.

Specifically, I have a flat-panel which I want to run as primary at 1024x768. I also have a Cinema 13HD projector which I want to run as secondary at 1360x768. Is this possible? If so, please detail how to do it. Note, I'm under Windows 2000.

First, I just switched from a Radeon LE to VE and it seems that the Powerstrip settings aren't the same for the two cards, so I have to reconfigure the projector. Pain. Next, I can't get the two heads to run at different resolutions. Finally, I can't get Powerstrip to set a custom resolution for just one head.

Is this just not possible? If this is possible under another version of Windows, then I would consider switching until things matured for Windows 2000.

Jake

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hello Jake,

Try these links for a start:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=33265

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=32955

For custom resolutions in Win2K, try the 3226 beta drivers. I have been able to get 1360x768 for my DILA and 1024x768 on my LCD monitor. Make sure you have a monitor.inf file that will support at least 1360x768 such as the SuperVGA monitor inf file. Once the drivers are installed, go to Display properties-Advanced-Displays Tab and you can set up hotkeys in the Schemes box for projector only, monitor only or both in addition to which video head will have the dvd overlay.

I have my projector connected to the physical primary connector and my LCD monitor connected to the 2nd head with the DVI-VGA adapter and I boot with both heads active and the dvd overlay active on the projector. After experimenting in Win2K, I think WinMe will make your life easier though if you want to use your pc exclusively for HTPC use. I use ME primarily to play my movies although I do occasionally use Win2K to experiment with. I have had problems with ATI player 4.1 not working properly in Win2K. Windvd and ATI Player works fine in ME.

Rick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I was very hopeful to try all this stuff out. Here's what I did. I noticed that my drivers are from Oct 15th (3276), so I figured they are more up-to-date and I didn't have to change anything. I could be wrong about that as certain things are known to break from version to version.

I switched the projector from the DVI(VGA) output to the VGA output and rebooted in that configuration. I couldn't figure out how to set the card to output to both outputs during boot, but once Windows came up, things seemed to be there. Both projector and monitor come up cloned.

Q: How do you configure the boot setup of the Radeon VE?

Then, I tried to get Powerstrip to write out a monitor.inf file which it seemed to do, but when it took me to the Win2k setup to load that monitor.inf file (which I called cinema13hd.inf), Windows would not find it. I browsed for it and tried to tell it to use the damn thing anyhow, but it refused.

Q: How do you get Powerstrip and Win2k to agree on the .inf files?

Well, at some point, I was able to get Powerstrip to go 1360x768 with the projector and the Viewsonic just followed suit (in 1024x768 scrolled mode). I was approaching happy until I started ATI DVD and it crashed. I rebooted and tried again. Crash. So, I tore the card out and put in my Radeon 32DDR and watched the movie I wanted to see in the first place.

Q: How do I set the overlay display for ATI?

Thanks again! At least I know I've made incremental progress. I am considering installing WindowsME on this HTPC, but would like to know what exactly is `easier' with ME than Win2k. Is it possible that, in 6 months, everything will be happy with Win2k?

Cheers,

Jake

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hello Jake,

I'm glad to hear you are making progress and that the 3276 drivers work for custom t&rs in Win2K.

"Q: How do you configure the boot setup of the Radeon VE? "

"Q: How do I set the overlay display for ATI?"

Windows remembers the last display option you had with the Radeon VE. If you go to the Advanced Properties of your Display Adapter, Displays tab, you can "turn on" which display(s) will be on and which display will have the dvd overlay. You will see a white circle button to turn on the monitors and the "primary" monitor will have the overlay (not the "secondary"). Click on the blue button to change it to "primary" so it will have the dvd overlay. Then configure 3 hotkeys (monitor only with dvd overlay, projector only with dvd overlay and monitor and projector both on with projector with dvd overlay or any other configuration you desire).

"Q: How do you get Powerstrip and Win2k to agree on the .inf files?"

I did not use powerstrip to make my monitor.inf file. I just went into device manager, monitor and chose a different monitor. In DM, I have Default Monitor on top and my DILA monitor on the bottom within the Monitor tree. I have read that others have used the SuperVGA monitor or Sony GDM900 monitor inf files. Just change monitors in DM so that the monitor driver supports your resolution.

"until I started ATI DVD and it crashed

In my limited experience, ATI player is very finicky in Win2K and was not worth the trouble for me to try every tweaks to get it working properly and I aborted the attempt. I have seen random reboots, audio and video not synching, studdering etc in Win2K. That is one of the primary reasons I am using WinME since ATI player behaves much better under that OS. I think the majority of HTPC users are using either Win98/SE/ME. There must be a good reason :).

Good Luck,

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.