AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I guess I'm getting closer to having things work well with the ATI Radeon VE and dual head. First, some setup background:

+ 1024x768 monitor on the DVI-I connector

+ 1360x768 LCD projector on the VGA connector

+ Windows 2000

+ 3276 ATI drivers

Now, the problems (in order of `annoyingness'):

1. I have hotkeys for monitor only, monitor primary, projector primary, projector only. In some of these, I get the message: "The selected configuration is not valid because at least one display must be attached to the Primary display mode. Please change the settings" Now, I don't know what the primary display mode is apparently, because two monitors are connected and working and under the Advanced Settings, one display is configured for Primary, the other as Clone. This could be another symptom of problem #2...

2. PowerDVD 4 shows video on both heads and the video is crappy, jerky, etc. This implies that it is not using overlay. The "Hardware Acceleration" tab is checked (tried it both ways). The only way to get this to work properly (ie on ONE head) is to go to settings WHILE a DVD is playing, change to Projector ONLY, then switch back to whatever mode I really want. The hotkeys won't do it. It has to be done in the settings dialog.

3. There is something just odd with the way hotkeys select a "Scheme". Changing something through the Display Settings dialog will make the change effective and correct, but saving those settings and trying to get the hotkey to work properly is another story.

This is all relatively annoying so if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or verify the same troubles, that would be great. It would also be nice to know if these problems are fixed in the new beta drivers before moving to them.

Cheers,

Jake

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Jake,

"1. I have hotkeys for monitor only, monitor primary, projector primary, projector only."

Am I to infer from your statement that you have 4 hotkeys with the above settings or 2 hotkeys? If I understand you correctly, I would suggest deleting all of your hotkeys and make 3 new hotkeys, one with monitor only with the dvd overlay (i.e. make it primary), another hotkey with projector only with the overlay(making the projector primary) and the 3rd hotkey with both monitor and projector on but with the overlay on the projector(making the projector primary and the monitor secondary). I think that may solve your error messages. There are 2 buttons you need to configure for each setting saved, one to turn on or off the monitor/projector and one to turn on and off the overlay.

I also think annoyance #2 and #3 will be taken care of one you get the hotkey properly configured and saved. I don't have Powerdvd 4 so I have no experience with that.

Rick

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have the exact same problem with Radeon VE (W2K driver 3281) and PowerDVD XP.

PowerDVD is not using the overlay mode resulting in a very bad image.

I hope Cyberlink will fix this problem so we do not have to resort to too much tweaking.

I've noticed that Zoom player is correcly using new PowerDVD video filter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, I had four hotkeys. I wouldn't need the fourth (Projector only), but I found it fixed something (read on)...

Branxx, PowerDVD as you said, doesn't use the overlay, but it will after a bit of fiddling. I'm not entirely sure what keyed it off, but what I had to do was change things in the settings dialog (not the hotkeys). If I manually turned on both monitors and set the projector to primary and hit "Apply" things would work. I can't remember if I had to have PowerDVD running when I did this or not, but it would work after a few trials.

I could watch both monitors and see when it did it correctly because the video would only be on one of the monitors. The key is, you have to do it manually in the ATI Display Settings dialog. It won't work through hotkeys.

In this case, I can't really pin the blame on PowerDVD. I'm guessing it is an ATI problem.

Also, the error message about the 'selected configuration' only pops up when I change the scheme via hotkeys. Not when the dialog is doing it via "Apply".

Cheers,

Jake

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jake,

I too am upgrading my GeForce to a Radeon VE (on Win98se) and saw much of what you saw.

Yes, when playback is visible on both monitors it's not using the overlay (and CPU maxed out).

I found the trick is to assure that only one monitor is active (and Primary) before starting the PowerDVD application. Having a cloned secondary display seems to cause problems, including eventual program lockup.

Also, selecting h/w acceleration results in a program crash as soon as playback starts. (..for me anyway. I haven't heard of anyone else with this particular problem).

Once the application has started (w/o DVD playing necessarily) I find I am able to switch from one monitor to the other using the scheme hotkeys with no problem - even while playback is occurring. I can even go to a cloned monitor scheme (via hotkey) during playback (of course the overlay only is visible on the primary - there's only one in this card -- you get only the chroma key border on the cloned display).

Now, a question for you (& others): Once dual monitor support is enabled via Win98, i.e. "extended desktop", I can no longer control monitor selection via the Radeon "Displays" tab (or schemes). All is grayed out. Is this how it's supposed to work? I'm not finding much for detailed documentation on this feature.

I don't want all the overhead of Hydravision and multi-desktop (unless really necc.) -- I just want to be able to switch a secondary monitor from being a clone to extended via hotkey. How else can you setup two monitors, selectable via hotkey schemes, yet each with their own resolution & timing?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom,

To my knowledge, Hydravision isn't necessary. I'm away from my PC right now, but as I recall, Hydravision is just used to control where windows popup, how they maximize, etc. I don't think it is used to control the heads and the hardware interface. My impression was that it just hooked into the OS to provide the most reasonable window control.

Now, I haven't played with the extended desktop stuff much. I'd really like to use that mode, though. I'd like something very much like you have. I'd really like to run in two modes. One mode has the projector cloning the monitor (I don't mind running the monitor at 1024x768 with VD at 1360x768). The other mode has the projector extending the monitor to the right. In this second mode, I'd like to fullscreen movies and have them play with overlay, but still be able to use the PC on the monitor head.

This is an ideal situation and I think it may be beyond the capabilities of Windows and the drivers right now. This is why I'm looking into the Linux situation because I think XFree86 and xinerama may be able to handle this far better. Linux stuff is normally a lot more modular and full-featured from the beginning.

Cheers,

Jake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.