AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has already been addressed but I have recently aquired a Radeon LE and am very happy with the film mode quality but when running the resolution test in Avia I noticed that vertical resolution above about 300 lines is non existant and just goes blurry. This is corrected by reducing the window size to around 600x400. It looks like it's a problem with the vertical scaling on video source material (I assume the resolution test is video source?)

Any ideas? This is using the latest release driver off the ATI site. I don't think it occured with the supplied driver.

·
Registered
133 Posts
^^^bump^^^ anyone? I've seen this too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I have one other problem also, when I boot up with my new Radeon the system will hang (completely freeze, no mouse movement whatsoever) on the first couple of cold boots.

This almost seems to be heat related as all I have to do to get it working is reboot a couple of times. Anyone else had this one?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
On some systems you may have to turn off the fast boot option in the BIOS in order to give some system components (hard drives) time to get up to speed.

I had one system where I had to slow down the boot by telling the BIOS to run more memory tests at boot.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC Faq , dScaler , Xcel's Links .

·
Registered
540 Posts
What kind of projector do you have?

I recently had similar issues but it turned out to be cable bandwidth issue I was losing resolution via a cheap cable from my pc or scaler to the projector. Once you start running hig refresh and high resolutions cable becomes critical.

Also if you run the projector beyond its sweat spot then the lines will overlap and soften the picture for vertical rsolution set the res so you can see small gaps between the scan lines from 3 ft away from the screen. If your running a 7 inch CRT 640 x480 or 800x600 will be the max unless its a new projector and you may get 1024 x768.

Hope this helps rick

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank for the replies guys

Tom, don't think turning off fast boot will help, it takes a couple of minutes to boot anyway and this hanging can still occur on the second or third boot. I think it may be sound card related as it seems to hang during a sound intro, I will check this out by removing the SBLive card when I get a chance.

Rick, It's not a cable problem as it worked fine with the Geforce and also occurs on my 17" Monitor. I couldn't figure out how to take a capture of the overlay or I would have posted the image, it's quite an obvious error, the vertical resolution lines become about 5 times thicker than they should be, like you are magnifying them.

I'm running WinDVD 2.6.4

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have you tried ATi player v4.1 to see if it occurs with it too

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick, no I haven't, I've been a bit lazy. I did try the one on the Radeon CD on first install but it crashed when trying to play a couple of movies so I gave up.

The reason it's not bothering me too much is it doesn't occur on film source which is what I mainly watch so I haven't been too concerned. I would still like to find a solution though.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
dyates69,

Do you have WinDVD set to 'Force Weave'? Try setting it to 'Force Bob' and see if you get different results. Also, it's be interesting to see what the results are under the ATI 4.1 player with adaptive deinterlacing enabled.

Jeff

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I'll give it a try when I get back in a few days. I will also get the ATI player working and try that.

I currently use automatic but will select force BOB to test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.