AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, I'm back http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ! I finally struck a deal with my wife and now can again tweak my HTPC on a limited basis http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif . My only remaining problem with the Radeon LE is that it cannot show widescreen material "full screen". I'm using 1280x720p resolution with a BG 800 on a 16:9 screen. The WinMe desktop fits perfectly, "Ronin" standard format fits perfectly, "Ronin" widescreen format => big fat black bars (about 12-16") on top and bottom of screen! I've followed Karnis FAQ and ran MikeM patch but to no avail. Please suggest any possible fix. Thanks.

tixin.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
tixin,

Please explain what you mean by widescreen material "Full" screen.

In general it matters a great deal how your display handles anamorphic material. If is doesn't automatically stretch then you have to change the registry to get the correct proportions on your screen. You need to provide more information. Is Ronin anamorphic or LTX widescreen? Are the proportions correct?

Thanks.

John Moschella

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before the HTPC, every movie that I popped into the STB DVD player would fill up the 16:9 screen almost entirely. I understand there were black bars, but they were very small. Now with the HTPC, these suckers are huge! The black bars on top and bottom together would take up almost 1/3 to 1/2 of the screen height depending on the widescreen format. Standard 4:3 format movies, however, are stretched horizontally to completely fill the screen size. Since both resolution and screen are of 16:9 AR, I thought I would get better results with widescreen movies...where did I went wrong?!

tixin.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hello Tixin

Use the Registry file to unlock aspect ratio and unhide video controls in ATI player. For use with "stretched" resolutions (CRT anamorphic squeeze or digital projector with anamorphic lens): in the radeon faq

Rob

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sounds like your DVD software is treating your display like a 4:3 screen, even though the display resolution is 16:9. Thus the widescreen stuff is being letterboxed even if it's anamorphic, and everything is stretched. You'll have to figure out why it's doing this. (BTW, is this the ATI Player?)

------------------

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow. -Ivanova, B5

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Tixin,

Aside from getting the registry entries correct, you will probably notice a lot less overscan than you were accustomed to with the stand-alone player. It's amazing how narrow a 2.35:1 can look when in the "proper" aspect ratio - all posible pixels displayed (width to fit your screen). Calculate the correct height based on your screen width and measure with a tape measure. For example, about 41" is correct for a 96" wide screen (96/2.35). However, this equates to a black area of only 1/4 of the screen height, so you probably still need to check your settings.

Also, 4:3 material should come out centered (with black bars on the sides) if things are correctly set up. Good luck.

Carey

------------------

My forever in-progress Home Theatre

·
Registered
1,532 Posts

Tixin,

If you can answer these questions I'm sure that I can help you out. I will assume your using the ATI player.

1) Are you running with the window maximized?

2) Is the lock aspect ratio box checked?

3) Are you using YXY?

4) Do 4x3 DVD have the right proportions, do the people look fat?

5) Do anamorphic DVDs have the right proportions?

6) What is the registry setting in HEX_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\ATI Technologies\\Multimedia\\DVD for WidescreenDisplay ?

The solution for you problem may be as simple as setting the widescreen display parameter to "1" for anamorphic disks and "0" for everything else.

Once you get the right proportions for everything then you can take a look at the overscan issue.

John Moschella

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob...I got the file and will try it out tonight.

dcheesi...I don't believe that's the case because only 4:3 materials are stretched. Other format looks very natural, at least to me.

Carey...I'll take some measurement tonight. BTW, 4:3 always stretch on my setup no matter what I did...so far!

John...to briefly answer your questions:

1. No, I use full screen mode on the ATI player

2. This makes no difference checked/unchecked.

3. No, I'm not using YXY.

4. The 4:3 is ALWAYS stretched, so the people is fat.

5. I haven't actually measured, but it looks natural.

6. I have tried both "1" and "0" with no effect.

tixin.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Does the Widescreen/Letterbox/Pan And Scan selectors work for any one (actually, just the widescreen/letterbox). When I switch between the two, the picture is the same. It seems to me that it should be changing the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\ATI technologies\\Multimedia\\Features\\DVD]

"WidescreenDisplay"=dword:00000001 setting. No? I want to be able to easily switch between 0 and 1 without having to edit or merge the registry. What key does the widescreen/letterboxed selectors change?

------------------

Greg

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tixin:

6. I have tried both "1" and "0" with no effect.

tixin.
That's a shock. The reg patch that Rob mentioned changes the registry setting for the WidescreenDisplay parameter. With my player if I set WidescreenDisplay=1 then the 4x3 stuff is stretched like you discribe. However if I set it to 0 then it looks fine with the player maximized. That is the only change I have to make when switching between these types of disks. The other thing is that I'm running a 16x9 resolution into my projector.

What resolution are you running into your projector? Is it possible that the projector is stretching everything?

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.