AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the radeon x1950pro and it keeps freezing. I've just reformatted after a lot of problems with my comp, everything is running fine, but my graphics card keeps freezing, it did it before and its still doing it, i have installed the latest drivers but i just don't know why it keeps doing it? I'm running

pent4 3.2

1gb of ram

asrock P4VM890 MB

for what i want it for it should be fine, but its been freezing for ages, its really getting on my nerves now, i only got the card last year and it should be fine, is there a conflict with my MB? i get the error message from windows saying

i got a stop error which requires me to restart windows. error message: thread stuck in device driver?

it even freezes playing the new football manager!! surely my set up can handle this game? is it my bios setting or anything?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You can check the data written on the Power supply to find out the wattage and it yes it may be a 500 Watt supply.

If you have added device such as additional disk drives in addition to adding the graphics card I suspect that you have more like a 300 watt supply and that you are overloading it.

Some graphics cards have a separate small power connector which takes a cable direct from the power supply. If you added the card to your system make sure if it has such a connector that, you have it connecte

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think your right, i checked the serial and it is a 250w i was told by my friend who gave it to me it was 500w, never mind, i am running a Blu-ray re/writer and duel layer dvd drive and a single layer dvd with a 250gb HD, i've just bought a Arctic Power 700W PSU

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not happy with ATI Radeon ...

My opinion - nVIDIA rullz :X ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for everyone's help, the psu is in and running fine, i even played a few games of FM09 without it freezing lol. I've waiting ages for this, when i asked before on other forums no one even suggested the psu, first time on here and problem solved. cheers guys!

·
Registered
159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor 68 /forum/post/15440403

That card needs at least a 650 watt power supply.

No. That card works great in many systems with 300 watt power supplies.

I had been running one problem free for nearly two years in a HTPC dvb-s A64 X2 2.8GHz AMD mATX system. Just last week I finally upgraded that system to an ATi HD 4830. Still same problem free 300 watt supply.

mATX cases are very space limited on what power supplies can be used, and 300w is considered a lot of power for small mATX cases.

Like anything, if you have the right stuff it can work with very little power, but if you have the wrong stuff it might not work even if you have 500+ watts of power.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsTV /forum/post/15446016

No. That card works great in many systems with 300 watt power supplies.

I had been running one problem free for nearly two years in a HTPC dvb-s A64 X2 2.8GHz AMD mATX system. Just last week I finally upgraded that system to an ATi HD 4830. Still same problem free 300 watt supply.

mATX cases are very space limited on what power supplies can be used, and 300w is considered a lot of power for small mATX cases.

Like anything, if you have the right stuff it can work with very little power, but if you have the wrong stuff it might not work even if you have 500+ watts of power.

The manufacture clearly states that the minimum requirements for this card is "650 watts". When I installed mine, with a good psu of 430 watts, the system froze after only a few minutes and I only had two HD's and a sound card to power. I replaced the psu with a 800 watt unit and all was well. A 300 watt psu will not do the job, come on.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15448981

Depends on the manufacturer of the card. The ASUS version of the card suggests a 450 watt supply on a fully loaded system

Except that would be a REAL 450W supply not a no-name one. Most generic units can barely deliver half their rated power since the values printed on them are PEAK not NOMINAL ratings.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor 68 /forum/post/15448613

The manufacture clearly states that the minimum requirements for this card is "650 watts". When I installed mine, with a good psu of 430 watts, the system froze after only a few minutes and I only had two HD's and a sound card to power. I replaced the psu with a 800 watt unit and all was well. A 300 watt psu will not do the job, come on.

I think you have this card confused with something else.

Google radeon x1950pro power requirements. (all real world tests confirm what I am saying).

Some quotes:

(from HotHardware)

"Total System Power in watts (not just video card)

Due to the Radeon X1950 Pro's relatively modest clock speeds and the fact that the GPU is manufactured at 80nm, as opposed to the R580's 90nm, power consumption is relatively low. While idling the Radeon X1950 Pro drew 4 fewer watts than an X1950 XTX, and under load it was the most power-friendly card by far with a peak of around 212 watts (note that this is total system power, not just video). We also tested the card while running in a "CrossFire configuration" and found that in that setup they drew 148 watts while idling, and 302 watts under load. "

(from cnet)

"Like most current 3D cards, the Radeon X1950 Pro requires a connection to your PC's power supply. Most modern PCs with a 300-to-400-watt power supply should be able to handle a single card, and ATI recommends at least a 550-watt power supply for CrossFire mode"

(from xbitlabs)

idle = 24.9w, peak2d = 44.6w, peak3d = 75w

Manufactures might state 450w as needed, but that is to cover there behinds. That 450w ensures that many of the worst P.S.'s made might still work. In reality, any "decent" 300w will work in many systems (many, not all systems). My new HD4830 also "requires" 450w. Again, works perfect with my 300w, just like the X1950 Pro did.

Again, this is what I use. It works. It must, since it is used in a small mATX case, and there is no way you can cram in a 450w supply in these little cases.

And one last thought slightly off topic, not as a direct comparison, but to hopefully remove the myth that all are equal.

If a huge power supply is needed for video, how do laptops running more powerful video than these get away with 100w-150w power supplies, and that has to run everything, including display.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.