AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know if any of you folks have started with the Radiance mini and compare to a higher model say up to the 20XX.

I'm thinking of buying one but not sure where to start.

If the mini is superb,then how much better are the 20XX's,is there a WOW factor when comparing the above models.

I use a JVC X-90 projector with Stewart Firehawk G-3.

Not into bells and whistles as I use Oppo 95 with a darbee direct to the X-90.

Plus analog outs of the Oppo to my Arcam AV-8.

More or less would like to buy a Radiance once instead of,Oh I should have went with a 20XX.

There is a big price difference between a mini and a 20XX,but I use only one input/output so I don't need a bunch of extra stuff I'll never use.

I'm just after a great picture,and if there is a huge difference between the above then I'll have to step up,thx.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Essentially they share a large commonality. There is no difference at all in image quality between XS/XD/XE and mini. The 20XX series benefit from the much larger 729 point 3DLUT and in built darbee processing. Also they have more capacity for new features and Lumagen are continuing to develop them (they just brought out their auto aspect ratio detection firmware in beta for instance)

Darbee processing in the 20XX series is also optimally placed before any lumagen processing. Darbee advise that their process works best when sources are fed directly to the unit, then from that onwards to any display or video processor. However most folk have the darbee after their processor or upscaling/processing receiver/pre-amp. In the lumagen configuration you can also assign different darbee settings to different source signals.

Is there a night and day difference. Well it depends on whether your display benefits from darbee and those extra calibration points. In my experience the folk i have upgraded and redone their calibrations for them have been very happy with the investement. You already have a darbee...but i can say that either one, with a good calibration done using the lumagen CMS tools, should bring obvious improvements to your image.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Gordon,

I have been chatting with Kal also on this small dilemma .

The Darbee is a nice addition to the X-90

Seems like the 2041 would be the ticket. with Chromapure ect,

thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts