AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying this remote. However, I want to make sure it is going to do what I want it to do. I three functions that I have to switch remotes for all of the time.

Funtion 1:

My big screen is a Sony and does a side by side picture that none of my other remotes seem to do even though most of the other remotes are Sony.

Funtion 2:

My Sony UTV keyboard will move the PIP from one side to the other. Nothing else will do this

Function 3:

Only the UTV remote does all of the UTV functions besides the PIP moving

I want to combine them all. Is the 15-2104 for me? I am worried that the buttons will not make any sense though because they are not labled. Could I use the 15-2103. What is the difference? Is it worth $20 less?

Thanks for the help.

M!:cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay I realized the difference when I looked and saw the two. One I can program the other I cannot.

Anyway, What code do I need to enter into this thing to get it to work with my Sony UTV and my Sony TV?

Will I have to program for it to work with WebTV?

Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
On my Sony the Enter key on the remote moves the PIP window side to side. (same as 'PIP Loc' on the keyboard).

Note: that if you enter a channel (for example '11') and then press 'Enter' the PIP will not change location.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mr. Microsoft for the little hint. I only wish Sony's UTV receiver had a couple of buttons to learn other Sony remote functions. If this did that then I wouldn't have had to go buy a new Radio Shack remote. So far the new remote is pretty awesome.

M!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not to be pissy or anything, but if you want a remote that you can program anything into and have multiple devices, you should look into the Phillips Pronto. I have one and you couldn't take it away from me. Its the greatest!

:D

·
Registered
685 Posts
check www.remotecentral.com if you are unsure about which learning remote to buy. As far as the pronto goes, a pronto owner once wrote on the remote central site "there is only one remote on my coffe table, the Phillips Pronto, and that's 'cause the HTM MX-500 is in my hand". Look at the Home Theater Master MX-500 or MX-1000. You'll be happy you did. I love my MX-1000. All the benefits of both a touchscreen and hard button remote rolled into one.

If you're like me you have a nice home theater system, 16:9 55" widescreen TV, high end DVD and receiver, surround sound, UTV, the works. Buying a RS 15-1994 is like buying a ferrari and driving it with a go cart engine in it. You spent enough on UTV and your home theater system. Spend a little more to drive it with the right remote. Just my opinion.

-NJJ

·
Registered
685 Posts
I like the touchscreen on my MX-1000. I can also configure, backup, and restore my configuration via pc software. Functionally, the 1994 can execute macros, discretes, etc. just as well. Never got into the whole advanced code thing though. Too much "building" to get it to where I think a good universal remote needs to be in my mind. The way I look at it you can either buy a Lexus (MX-1000) or build/restore a hot rod or muscle car (15-1994). I'm the buy type. Just my opinion. Are my car analogies working?

-NJJ

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I built/restored nothing. Stock unit from Radio Shack. Set codes and worked out of the box without issue.

The MX-1000 looks like a fine remote, and for $290 it should be. My goals were simple:

1. Control all devices

2. Control house lights

3. One button on/off

4. Spouse friendly

5. Lighted for use in low light

Others might have requirements for which spending 10 times as much makes sense. For me, the $29 model worked just fine...

I don't have much experience with go carts, mostly just the Porsche.

Ed

·
Registered
685 Posts
Ah! A fellow car aficionado. Got my mx-1000 for under $200. Not cheap, but the finer thing usually aren't. The mx-1000 works well with X-10 also. My intention was not to offend so hopefully none taken. To the 1994s defense, I know of several mx-1000 owners who purchased a 1994 so they could teach some of those advanced codes, like hard to find discretes, to their mx-1000. A $200 remote shouldn't need a $29 dollar one to teach it codes! Didn't need it for my setup. I will probably get a mx-500 for my upstairs home theater instead of anoth 1000. I've heard great things about the 500. Then again HTM just came out with a 700. I might have to investigate that further first.

-NJJ

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The only real fault I find with the 1994 is limited memory. Buttons are well laid out and it has a nice feel. Using advanced codes overcame the memory for all the functions we needed here.

The initial reviews of the 2104 are less positive. Same memory, no X10, more limits on what keys are available for macros. Seems like a step backwards.

E

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I just bought the 15-2104 and love it so far but maybe thats because all I have cared about was getting it to learn all the functions of my other remotes so I only need one.

Ed, how do you get it to control your lighting. I am guessing you had to buy a certain switch on your wall that was remote controlled?

Since reading this I have a remote control ceiling fan. I wonder if my remote can learn that? I will have to try that when I get home.

Anyway, As far as I can tell or have read the 2104 doesn't lose anything that the 1994 had. It however does have the individual station thing. Where you can program three stations into one button and flip through them really quickly.

The signal does not seem to be very strong though. Some times when I push a button the UTV doesn't seem to see it. Like scrolling through the guide. Could be the batteries. If I change the batteries it will keep all of my stuff in the memory as I put in the new batteries right?

What kind of advanced things do you use your remote for with the UTV?

M!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Changing the batteries is not a problem. The remote will remember. However, if after changing the batteries, the remote is not at least as powerful as the one that came with your equipment, then return it and get another. This is a known manufacturing problem with some of the RS remotes.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flfmmqp
Ed, how do you get it to control your lighting. I am guessing you had to buy a certain switch on your wall that was remote controlled?

M!
My info indicates the 2104 does not have X10 control built in as it was in the 15-1994. The 1994 model can send out X10 IF commands which an X10 IR receiver can detect and then send X10 commands to control lights.

Ed

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flfmmqp
What kind of advanced things do you use your remote for with the UTV?

M!
I just set up all the normal UTV buttons (My Shows, PIP, 30 sec skip, play, fast forward, etc). All work fine.

Ed

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Dixon

My info indicates the 2104 does not have X10 control built in as it was in the 15-1994. The 1994 model can send out X10 IF commands which an X10 IR receiver can detect and then send X10 commands to control lights.

Ed
Ed:

1.) Where did you get your information. I have had a hard time finding info on the 2104!

2.) Can you train another button to be the shift button instead fo the p? It is hard to push on the 2104

3.) Can you educate me on what an X10 is?

M!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
X10 is a way to control electrical devices over the existing electrical wiring. www.x10.com sells lots of stuff as do many other sites like www.smarthome.com.

Every light in our house is on X10. Never touch a light switch as all go on/off automatically based on sunset/sunrise, and other controls. All is controlled via PC software and manually via the 15-1994 remote.

Info on the 2104 came from here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...hread.cgi?1703

I use the p for the shift key. Don't know if another key can be used.

Ed

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can not easily transfer the data from the old remote to a new one unless you make a connection to your PC and download some free software. This involves a little bit of hardware and soldering.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.