AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the newer Radio Shack 4-way A/V selector with auto sensing. The manual input selection button seems to do the job OK, but there appears to be a flaw in the auto sensing. The VCR input takes precedent over all other inputs except for AUX and DVD, even if NOTHING is plugged into the VCR input! This is a deal breaker for my setup, so I'll be returning this poorly-designed device.

Anyone have this unit, and if so, how did you deal with the phantom VCR sensing problem? I brought the first unit back and exchanged for a second, only to see the exact same problem!

The other problem with this device is to use all 4 inputs, you have to utilize the AUX input on the FRONT of the unit! This forces you to flip the lid up and have ugly wires sticking out the front and wrapping around to the back! Horrible design idea... would have been nice to have the OPTION of using the front, but also having a parallel set in back for normal setups.

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
sounds like your VCR might be at fault - outputing a signal even when it's turned off. Try pulling out the power cord from it and see if that still happens.

You can also move it to a lower priority input, so it will only be viewed when everything else is turned off...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have my hi-def STB plugged into the VCR inputs, and the VCR stays selected even when i unplug the STB. The manual says you should wait at least 2 minutes for residual power on the unplugged device to go away... well, I could wait till dinosaurs return and that damn VCR light will remain lit!

So the VCR input overrides the sat input, which sucks because the whole idea is to watch locals on the STB, then power off the sat. OK, that works, it remains on VCR. But turn off the STB and it should go back to the sat... no dice. It stays on VCR!

I have a feeling that the design flaw stems from the fact that the unit has a VCR input AND output for recording whatever device is active at the time. Apparently the "geniuses" at Radio **** couldn't figure out to have that function AND have auto-sensing work as well.

Any suggestions for 4 or more input to coax device that 1) auto-sense actually works.. preferably choosing the device most recently powered on, and 2) that powers itself off when no inputs are active.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.