Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Radio shack 7-in-1 learning remote has the codes for the replay/showstopper? I have come to the conclusion there are allot of people on this forum who know allot of nifty things maybe someone here knows.??.??.?..

I know I could probably teach it the code via the learning feature, but I was curious if anyone knew if in fact it had the codes already built in ..

Also to make matters worse I can't locate the directions either! (I think i found the docs on the web though..)

for the record the RS cat# is 15-1924

It also says "for use with plug'n power" if that helps..

·
Registered
535 Posts
Plug-n power - is prolly for X10 devices through an IR receiver. All good info on remotes is at http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml

Some of the radioshack remotes are upgradebale through JP1 cable - info here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml , however it seems that 15-1924 doesnt have that interface- the nxt one - 15- 1925 has i t- it is a 6 pin connector , which you can usually find near the battery under the cover.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I'm guessing that your 7 in 1 is model number 15-1924, unlike most of the other RS remotes which are made by UEIC, this remote was made by IBM, so none of the JP1 stuff applies to this remote.

Furthermore, it's quite an old remote dating from around 1997 I think, which is long before ReplayTV started, so it doesn't have a code for Replay.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that sound right 1997.. I had it for a while, just wanted to try to put it to good use as a second remote now that I have the showstopper shared in the bedroom...

Thanks everyone for the info.. looks like I am SOL on this remote.. I will try to "learn it" , if that gets tedious i will hunt down one of those cheap Radio Shack replacements, any suggestions for a "basic" cheap remote..? (cheaper and simpler the better as non techies will be using it)..

Humm.. IBM , how odd.... never would have even guessed that one!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the new version from RS, the 15-2104, and it works great (6n1). Although it has a built-in mode for the Replay, it only has playback functions, power, and numbers assigned. Using my old Replay remote (you could also use a JP-1), I assigned keys for the Channel Guide, Replay Guide, Menu, Quick Skip, and Instant Replay. It also does not have any 4000-model-specific buttons assigned by default (Bypass, CA, etc.), so I've been going back and forth between remotes until I have a chance to sit down and get those in there.

This is a really good remote... the layout is slightly less intuitive than the Replay's old remote (number pad on bottom and arrows at top), but I adjusted pretty quickly. The backlight is great, the keys are large, and the unit has a good grip coating and doesn't feel like cheap plastic. For $30 (on sale now), you really can't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Richard, if you use the VCR/0616 code instead of the VCR/0614 code, you can program all those extra buttons using advanced codes (which is useful to know for people who don't have a Replay remote to learn from).

Bix, before you run out and buy a 15-2104, check out the brand new URC-8811 from One For All, they cost $30, theyhave the Replay codes built in and they look pretty cool. Plus, they are JP1 hackable!!!

Surf Remote Control has them in stock already.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info!!

For the record, trying to teach an old dog new tricks failed.. the old learning remote refused to pick up the signals from the replay's remote.. Just spat em out.. wouldn't take a single one..

Oh well...

Looks like I will be shopping!

Can you get the URC-8811 in stores? Best Buys? etc..?

-Eric

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
And are there any larger photos of it out there? It looks nice, but I'd like to see the button arrangement better before buying. I can't even find it on the OFA site.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.