Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1113

Is this $24.99 Radio Shack antenna amplifier any good? Will it work with digital TV signals as well as analog? I would use it with the $17.99 RS double-bow(for UHF) and rabbit ears(for VHF). VHF stinks in my location and I need something to get a stronger signal. I cannot use an outdoor antenna. Am I just !^@#ing up a rope?

Christopher

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have it and use it to boost a cable line feed without a noticeable noise added.

I am curious as to the answer to this question, because I've been told by an antennae lover that amplifiers don't improve signals they only help a tuner tune into them (either accurately or at all as the case may be).

So, I've been wondering how this would apply to DTV... if it would increase drop outs or some other malady. I've read that several posters have amplifiers in their antennae's signal path... but I wasn't sure if this was because of a spliter or not.

Perhaps someone with the knowledge can share. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Is this $24.99 Radio Shack antenna amplifier any good?

Based on its specs, it's probably a fair price. There are better amps on the market, but they cost alot more (~$70).

FYI, I bought one of these and it was DOA; the replacement worked fine, however.

Will it work with digital TV signals as well as analog?

Radio waves are radio waves; the pre-amp doesn't care what form of information (analog or digital) the waves are carrying.

I would use it with the $17.99 RS double-bow(for UHF) and rabbit ears(for VHF). VHF stinks in my location and I need something to get a stronger signal. I cannot use an outdoor antenna. Am I just !^@#ing up a rope?

Are you sure you need a stronger signal? If you have a snowy picture, then you do need a stronger signal, and an amp will probably help. If you have ghosts, an amp will do nothing to help that.

Remeber that the "signal strength" meters on digital STBs are not signal strength meters. They measure how cleany the signal is being received; low signal strength is only one reason why a digital signal may be received poorly. For example, if you have sufficient signal strength, but are getting a low meter reading due to ghosting (multipath), then adding an amp won't do any good.

However, a company called iBlast has done some field tests that show low signal strength to sometimes be a problem in indoor reception of digital signals. They've found that adding a small amount of amplification (~10 dB) may be helpful in those situations. Without test equipment it's difficult to know what the exact problem is in a given location.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I use it for my OTA HD/DTV reception and it definitely helps. You'll need to experiment with the amount of gain to get it right.

------------------

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
This is the exact same preamp I use to improve signal level on distant DTV stations in Miami. It works great. It's the best Radio Shack effort at a preamp I've yet seen.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use the R-S model 15-1115 (cigar shaped) amplifier, $29.95, as an in-line amplifier. It works like a champ on both analog and digital signals. For HDTV, I get 6 channels with the amplifier on; when I turn it off, I get only 2. You need a combination of cleanliness and strength in your HD signal; the R-S amp improves the signal strength and does so without visible disortion. I bet other amps would work well also. But with R-S you can't go wrong--if it doesn't work, you just take it back to the store.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike2567:
I use the R-S model 15-1115 (cigar shaped) amplifier, $29.95, as an in-line amplifier.
Is there any reason to believe that the cigar shaped model is any cleaner or better than the $24.95 model with variable 25db gain?

Christopher

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just bought a 26 DBL rat shack amp.

Last night I hooked it up and went from a 77 signal level to an 88 on CBS. That was enough for me to keep it.

The amp I purchased has an fm trap I wonder if I should turn it on or off.

Anybody out there know about fm traps.

It also prevented me from running a seprate line from my rooftop ant. since my coax is looped 2 times and runs over 100 ft. through the house.

Thanks for the help,

Jack IPP

·
Registered
987 Posts
Chris;

There is nothing about the shape that changes the amplifier.

It is the electrical characteristics that matters.

Gain, then sensitivity, then overload etc.

Too much gain can cause overload, which will in effect antenuate the signal, and maybe even distort it which will make it worse.

As stated above, trial and error are the only way to really check it out. Your conditon is different that everybody elses. The signal path from the transmitter to your house. The structures around the house, the sensitivity of your tuner etc, etc.

Remember, you really can't put two amplifiers in series, because one will overload the second. (just in case you thought you would want to try it)

·
Registered
381 Posts
My cheap antenna amp helped the audio drop-out problem I was having with my Panasonic DST50 STB, so I'm definitely happy with it. I do notice some wavy distortion on an analog UHF channel, but it doesn't seem to have an adverse affect on the DTV stations.

·
Registered
14 Posts
NO, its not good but it's OK if you're getting reception on rabbit ears. Channel Master, or anybody else, for that matter, makes better products than RS. You spent $5 grand on a digital setup, spend a few hundred more for reception.

------------------

Jim

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jdfeld:
Channel Master, or anybody else, for that matter, makes better products than RS.
Do you have a link to a Web store that sells Channel Master antenna amplifier's at a discount price?

Christopher

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Jackipp

Leave the FM trap off, unless there is a high-strenght FM radio broadcaster near you that causes interfearance.

IIRC, FM radio is situated in the middle of the VHF TV channels. I forget which two it's between. The purpose of the FM trap is to cut out the FM radio signal.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I use the aforementioned cigar inline amp for my ota reception.
Inline amp

I can't get any signals without it. Nada. With it I can pull in everything available in nyc.

I use the variable gain amp at the top to boost my cable feed which contain cbs and hbo hd.

I love radio shack. Im sure there are better products out there, but the convenience factor and returnability is huge. I dont even bother with researching their stuff anymore. If I see something that might work, I just pick it

up, take it home and try it out. If it doesnt work I just bring it back. Who doesn't have a rat shack in their neighborhood?

With the wealth of stuff they have that is vital for our digital reception, its a frickin shame that the staff is so clueless.

btw, can you guess what kind of antenna I use?

K

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
FWIW, the FM radio broadcast band lies directly above channel 6 TV spectrum in North America. In fact, if you have an NTSC on channel 6 in your area you can tune the station's sound at the bottom of your FM tuner. Just above 108 MHz is VHF 2-way spectrum and some weather alert radio frequencies and then VHF TV channels 7 through 13.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.