Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, folks,

Thought you'd all like to know, I visited the RS web site looking for info on the Radio Shack double bowtie antenna that is so popular in these parts (I was recommending it to a friend and wanted to send him the link) and lo and behold, it is no longer listed in their indoor antenna section, nor anywhere else on the Radio Shack Web site. You can still get a picture, and the most rudimentary information on it at the following direct link:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=15%2D623

But you cannot buy it online. I checked a local store (30th Street and 7th Avenue in Manhattan), and they confirmed that it just got discontinued last month. They had 3 in stock (now 2). They said it's possible that the price will go down in a couple of months to blow out the remaining inventory in all stores. But I would say, if you need one, then get it now!!

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
267 Posts
I posted the same thing last Friday. I find one at the 3rd RS store I checked this weekend and grabbed it right away. The retail price is only $17.99, so for most people I think the risk of not getting one outweighs the chance that the price might drop.

·
Registered
532 Posts
And at the retail price, it's nice to be able to get some HDTV equipment that's actually quite affordable.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I found one of the last ones in the Seattle area. Sure glad I did. It outperforms my $80 rooftop Winegard Metro 2000 and it is just sitting on top of my stereo cabinet in the living room! I did the balun tweak directly on the antenna and added a 10db inline amp for good measure. I get all local stations now with ease with a single orientation using my T150. What a bargain these antennas were. Hope they bring them back or someone copies the design. My panny 47" really shines now. Watching "Over Washington" in 1080i from local PBS is the most amazing thing I have seen, ever. You would swear you were looking out the open door of the helicopter they used. Anyone else seen the "Over..." series from PBS?

·
Registered
208 Posts
If anyone can't find one in their area, please let me know. I have a brand new one that I never used that I will sell you. Just PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
jorge you have pm

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have just returned from a place called "Avon Park" here in Florida (about 40 minutes from where I live in Winter Haven). Was looking for the RS double-bowtie antenna. Lo & behold, the manager said she had 8 in the back (now she has SEVEN). So, no doubt the smaller-town Radio Shack stores have them in stock.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm just curious, why was this thread moved from the Local HDTV Info and Reception forum? In the title it specifically states:

"This area is for the chat about the local HDTV stations. Also includes talk on antenna type and reception."

From this I thought all antenna related posts should be in that forum.

:confused:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought the dbl bowtie from RS in Irving. They had 3. She said that she hasn't sold one in ages...guess it was a serect a little too well kept.

hardware is hardware...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an elementary question for you.

I tried a double bowtie with my Hitachi 53SDX01B HDTV ready set and didn't get anything here on Long Island.:(

I assumed I could just attach it to an input on my TV. Do I have to run it through a STB? Obviously I would have to for HDTV but I didn't think an STB was necessary for local digital channels. Do I need an STB?

Jim

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your HD Ready set has only an analog tuner. For digital channels you will have to buy a STB and rig the double bowtie to it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, an STB is necessary for local digital channels, unless you have some snazzy new TV that has a digital tuner built-in. If it says "HDTV Ready," it means it's capable of displaying HDTV only, not tuning it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Raiser,

The first post has a link to the part where the catalog number is given as Cat.#: 15-623

Cheers.

P.S.

I have a used one with the 300 ohm twin lead replaced by a matching 300-75 ohmransformer for directly connecting uyour RG-6. Send me a e-mail if interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.