AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you need a thing that you are sure doesn't exist check Radio Shack first.

I ran out of digital inputs on my receiver and I wanted to connect the Dolby Digital Coax out from my Digital Cable Box, my receiver has five digital audio inputs but only has one coaxial input (4 optical) I moved some stuff around and switched my DVD from Coax to optical and plugged in the cable box....................but

My receiver wont assign two digital inputs to a single video output, and I have my Xbox PS2 and Gamecube using digital audio through a toslink switchbox to the receiver optical input labeled "TV/DBS"

So I could not listen to tv using the coax in and play the consoles using the optical in, the tv sound from the cable box digital output and the video game system/s sound from their optical output had to be assigned to "TV/DBS" but I could only assign either 1 optical in or 1 coaxial in to the receivers "TV/DBS" selector.

So I went searching for something I could rig up figuring I would have to plug and unplug stuff to switch between the two sources, I went to a home theater store, no luck and the guy was still diagramming trying to figure it out when I left, then best buy, LOL I knew it would be a waste of time "Dunno, cant do dat" was all I got there.

Then I went to Radio Shack to see if I might be able to build what I needed, I had to wait for about 20 minutes while this poor guy answered some insanely stupid questions, when he came to help me I told him...............

"I need an adapter to accept an Optical digital input and a Coaxial digital input with a Coaxial digital output"

He told me to hold on and disappeared, I figured he had to help someone else but he came right back with This Amazing device that appears to have been tailor made for me and me alone!

it is 100% exactly the thing I was searching for , I was certain that it didn't exist but there it was :D:D:D:D:D:D It has one optical and one coaxial input and can output either optical or coaxial, there is a small switch that lets you select which input to use.

So, now all three consoles use optical out to a toslink switch to the converter (in the link above) and the cable box uses coax digital out to the converter, and the converter uses coaxial digital out to the receiver.

It was worth the trouble too, all of the digital channels are in Dolby Digital, including HBO and all the digital music channels, it is awesome! the analog channels don't output digital sound but the digital channels output digital and/or analog so when I am watching one of the digital channels I just hit a button on my receivers remote to switch from analog sound to Dolby Digital, and when my son wants to play his games he just has to flick the switch on the converter! Simple, no? :confused: (Hey, it works)

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Where have you been, that device was in ratshacks last paper catalog last year. I recommended that item to big slew of AVS members!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.