AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the reviews, I decided to purchase a new Digital Stream 9950. The RS employee told me on the phone that the shipment had arrived. I went down there to buy one. She then said, "Are you on the list?" Hmm? What list? SO, they are all sold out. I said, well OK, put me on the list for next Friday's shipment. Duh. Holiday. Then she asked if I would be using a coupon. So I said I used mine, but I may be getting one shortly from someone that owed me a coupon. So then she tells me that person that has the coupon must purchase it because ID is required and a limit of 2 per household.

Has anyone else heard about this requirement? I have purchased several boxes at WalMart for people that have given me their coupons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Radio Shack always wants as much of your personal info as they can get. I was not required to produce ID for any other purchase, or even say whose name was on the card. It is not an NTIA rule, in fact there is an FAQ about it on the ntiadtv.gov site.

Quote:
FAQ #274: Do I need to see the customer's ID when they present the coupon?

Answer No.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
I did have RS ask for name and address info when I bought a 9950 for my girlfriend's mother (using her coupon). I gave them my own info and they didn't complain. When I used her 2nd coupon on an Apex in BB, they didn't ask anything, although her last name appeared on the receipt.


I don't think they can enforce anything about "2 per household" on purchases because of situations like mine. Many coupons are probably going to elderly shut-ins who send their children, etc. out to actually buy the box.


-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokybob /forum/post/14173389


So then she tells me that person that has the coupon must purchase it because ID is required and a limit of 2 per household.


That's absolutely, positively WRONG. NTIA specifically says you can trade, give away, etc. coupons. You cannot sell them.


I could see where RS *might* want ID when one picks up an already reserved box to make sure the person getting it is really the one who reserved it. But that has nothing to do with needing an ID to use a coupon.


From NTIA FAQ
https://www.dtv2009.gov/FAQ.aspx


8.Can coupons be used by other members of a household. Yes. Coupons can be redeemed by anyone in your household. However, only two coupons can be issued per household regardless of the number of occupants or families.

9.Can I transfer the coupon to someone else?It is illegal to sell coupons, but giving a coupon for free to a family member, friend, or neighbor is not prohibited.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks /forum/post/14173596


Many coupons are probably going to elderly shut-ins who send their children, etc. out to actually buy the box.


-Chris

Exactly. That is what I am doing for the elderly at church and at the low-income housing in my town. I'm also building Utube antennas for them as well.

Edit: Thanks V29 for the clarification.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I was asked for my Drivers License when redeeming my coupon at Circuit City last week. I had to sign a separate charge slip for the $40 also (along with a different charge slip for the $23 out of pocket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokybob /forum/post/14173810


Exactly. That is what I am doing for the elderly at church and at the low-income housing in my town. I'm also building Utube antennas for them as well.

Edit: Thanks V29 for the clarification.

As a safety issue, you should bend the tips of the elements over into a loop or make the elements in a continuous triangle out of wire. The exposed tips are OK on a roof or in an attic, but definitely not at near eye level, especially for senior citizens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalTorque /forum/post/14174020


As a safety issue, you should bend the tips of the elements over into a loop or make the elements in a continuous triangle out of wire. The exposed tips are OK on a roof or in an attic, but definitely not at near eye level, especially for senior citizens.



I was t hinking maybe styrofoam balls glued on as well whateer works but yeah they need to "safetized"



John
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top