AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new trailer for Rage was shown at QuakeCon 2009 (see here ; a 720p version is available for download here ). It appears to be coming along very nicely.


I figured this game deserved a thread at this point, because Willits, Carmack and crew will surely make it yet another game worth playing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Looks like a blend between Twisted Metal, Stalker, and maybe a hint of Bioshock (did i see a Big Daddy at 1:18???)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
Fallout with dune buggies...looks intresting tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/17004944


Fallout 3 = ZzzzZzzzzzzz

Says you. It was only one of (if not the best) selling PC games last year, and voted Game of the Year by many outlets. I really enjoyed it, and there are tons of great PC mods for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/17005644


Says you. It was only one of (if not the best) selling PC games last year, and voted Game of the Year by many outlets. I really enjoyed it, and there are tons of great PC mods for it.

Ya says me, that's why I wrote it. It's cool if you like a dull game, don't worry I won't judge you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
I'm just buggin you dave lol. The action mod does make the game much better, your 100% right Horrorscope.


Back on topic, Rage looks to be pretty sweet! It looks more or less what I thought fallout 3 was going to be.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,673 Posts
This will be stellar.


IIRC, this game started out as a test environment for iD to demo their new engine (with extra efficient code architecture and ray-tracing on modern hardware.. and this was over a year ago!). I even see they kept a few scenes from the first videos I saw over a year ago. Its one of the first engines being written from the ground up with multiple platforms as the target. It's being built to work on both major consoles and PC, and I think a lot of great games are going to come from this Tech 5 engine.


Looks effing intense, cant wait! HL2 + Fallout3 + BioShock + Quake4\\Doom3 + the unknown innovations and new stuff they've come up with on their own? Real-time ray-tracing and\\or innovative rasterization on moder hardware from a year ago? New iD engine built from the ground up from some of the forefathers of modern FPS? Yes plz.


You can see John talk about the engine a year ago, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBPqrhY3hw

http://www.shackvideo.com/?id=10929

http://kotaku.com/268081/carmacks-id-tech-5-demo


Very impressive.. I can only imagine the level of scope detail games on this engine will be able to acheive. Hopefully RAGE will be a good initial inidcator of this and other facets ofit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
Cute...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/20322364


New gameplay video. I'm not sure what it's running on. It certainly looks like a console.

Seemed like a console demo to me. The characters speed was changing a lot as is if a control pad was being used to vary the speed. Keyboard speeds are pretty much run, walk, or crawl. Looked like a lot of aim-assist was going on there too...


Pretty cool though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,256 Posts
Definitely a console. ID sold out PC gamers like all the rest when they were purchased in 2009. Truely a dark day in PC gaming when the company that started it all is testing/developing an FPS on the "Ghetto" Xbox 360.



This is a great read if you are at all interested in the history of ID when they were pushing the envelope, PC gaming ruled supreme and console gamer kiddies were playing catch up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Doom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/20324583


ID sold out PC gamers like all the rest when they were purchased in 2009. Truely a dark day in PC gaming when the company that started it all is testing/developing an FPS on the "Ghetto" Xbox 360.

That deal got them more resources to make more of the games we like. We'll see how it looks on a high-end PC when September comes around, but the engine apparently scales well and early images/videos indicate that this may very well be a beautiful looking game at maximum settings. Rage won't be the revolution that Doom 3 was in the tech department, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a much more enjoyable game that will still look quite good.


From what has been said, it sounds as if Doom 4 will be worthy as a tech demo on PC and appeal to those who enjoy the style of the original Doom games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/20324814


That's a great book, that judging by the content of your post you didn't bother to actually read.

You're a funny little man.
I would love to buy you lunch someday and discuss this with you in person.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/20325499


That deal got them more resources to make more of the games we like. We'll see how it looks on a high-end PC when September comes around, but the engine apparently scales well and early images/videos indicate that this may very well be a beautiful looking game at maximum settings. Rage won't be the revolution that Doom 3 was in the tech department, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a much more enjoyable game that will still look quite good.


From what has been said, it sounds as if Doom 4 will be worthy as a tech demo on PC and appeal to those who enjoy the style of the original Doom games.

ID did not need resources. They were fine as an independent developer. Any time multi-platform development is involved, high end PC gamers get the shaft due the lack of power of the consoles. PC gaming is dying, but if I had my way, consoles would go away and this would force gamers back to the PC and the world would be a better place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/20325898


PC gaming is dying, but if I had my way, consoles would go away and this would force gamers back to the PC and the world would be a better place.

You'll get no argument from me there.


The way I see things is that there isn't much room for graphical innovation prior to the utilization of ray tracing, but current high-end consumer PC technology cannot handle it. Thus, I tend to give the current state of PC game development a bit of a pass.


The developers of Battlefield 3 like to brag about using PC as a primary platform, and while that's good for larger multiplayer maps and more players, I doubt it will mean much from a graphical perspective.


Right now many PC gaming enthusiasts are interested in using their raw GPU power for running multiple high-resolution displays.
 
1 - 20 of 168 Posts
Top