AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive my terminology as I'm still somewhat of a Raid noob. I've got an issue that hopefully there is an easier way to resolve than my method.

Problem: Raid 5 array is full of data (9 500GB SATA drives), but I have more open space on the Raid card (Highpoint Rocketraid 2340) for 6 more drives. However my tower can not fit any more drives due to all the wiring, optical drive, etc.

Is there some sort of add-on case where I can run the extra cables from the Raid card to another case, and run the drives off of a separate power supply?

I have an extra power supply and I can probably find an extra computer case where I can mount 6 drives, but the setup is going to be pretty messy. (I will have to run the extra cables from the raid card, through the current case, into the new case, and attach them to the HDD on the new case)

Basically a while back I used Renethx's suggestion of using this case to build the server if this helps. When I added an optical drive and space for all the wiring, I can only fit 9 drives + 2 O.S. drives:

Antec Twelve Hundred (12 x 5.25″ bay), $149 with:

Lian Li EX-23NB Internal HDD Kit (turns 2 x 5.25″ bay into 3 x 3.5″ bay) x 6, $138.

Is there an easier fix for this? Ideally, I'd like to just add a small box that holds 6 drives, but plugs in to the 2340 Raid card somehow.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The case I've got is already supposed to hold 16 drives, and I'm trying to use rebuilding the whole server in a new case as a last resort. Hence the question if there's another option.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Your case will hold 16 drives if you use a cage that will hold 4 drives in the space of 3 5.25 drives. You could use an enclosure like this also, plenty to choose from.

·
UHD Addict
38,377 Posts
get larger hard drives. You can get 1TB drives for only $75 now. That's what I did for my RAIDs. I went from 500Gb to 750GB drives, then to 1TB drives. And I recently upgraded one of the RAIDs to 1.5TB drives.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/17055281

Your case will hold 16 drives if you use a cage that will hold 4 drives in the space of 3 5.25 drives. You could use an enclosure like this also, plenty to choose from.

I use one of the Supermicro 5-in-3 cages linked above. They are very well made and you could mount 20 drives in your case if you replaced all of your Lian-Li units with these. Personally, I would not add more bays, I would upgrade to bigger disks. Assuming you currently have 9 500GB disks in RAID5, you could migrate all your data to 3 2TB disks in RAID5. Then, you could expand from there.

If you really want to go external, the cleanest way is to use some adapters like the ones found here . I am thinking about converting an old SCSI enclosure to SATA with some of these. A setup that uses a single multi-lane cable fed by four motherboard SATA ports will run about $100 just for cable and adapters. Clean, but not cheap. The reason I'm thinking about doing that is so I can back up some of my media server. My desktop has 4 extra SATA ports and by using the external enclosure, I can just power it on when I want to use it. Most of the time it would be off.

- Mike

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@DJWikiera: I'm using something similar right now (Lian Li EX-23NB Internal HDD Kit). The problem is that I don't have any more space to add these 3-in-2 or 4-in-3 kits.

@aaronwt: I thought of this but am looking for a more low cost option as of right now. I'm hoping to wait until the 2TB drives are under $100 even if that's a year or so from now.

@miimura: This is kind of what I was looking for. I'm guessing I can use this to connect the SAS cables internally, and then run a cable to another case. I'll have to price out which is the cheapest option.

At least I've got a couple options (spend $ on larger drives and rebuild the array, or use adapters) so far. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Do you really want another case for a few drives? With all the drives you have I would consider getting a case with Hot-swap bays, makes life easier when you have a drive fail. The Norco 4220 will work with your HPT2340. HDD upgrade would be good also but a pain to exchange with your current setup.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/17056183

Do you really want another case for a few drives? With all the drives you have I would consider getting a case with Hot-swap bays, makes life easier when you have a drive fail. The Norco 4220 will work with your HPT2340. HDD upgrade would be good also but a pain to exchange with your current setup.

That's a good point. I wonder if it is best to just bite the bullet and spend $350 on the case. I'll have to do some more research, but from what you're saying, it should work with my current raid card?

Anything else that I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The Norco will work with your current card. Where is the system located, the case can be pretty loud.

How has the 2340 been for you. I have 2 2220's in a Lian LI PC80 with 3 Supermicro enclosure's. Thinking about going with this case and that card.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been happy with the 2340. I've had to contact customer support a couple times over the past 1 1/2 years that I've owned the card and they have been pretty helpful. The manual isn't very specific in some areas but if you know what you're doing you'll be better off than I was.

That looks like a nice case. I like the option of having an optical drive in addition to other connections in the front. Makes me think that I need to do some research on these types of cases, as my server is a mess of wiring on the inside.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I know what you mean about the wiring, you can only get it so clean. Four mini SAS cables and your done. The only problem with the Chenbro is the price alot more than the Norco.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My problem is that the combination of a non-modular 700W power supply and 4 24" SAS cables along with all the fans in the Lian Li cooler makes up a huge wire bundle. The SAS cables really only need to be about 12" long.

I couldn't find any prices on that case you linked to. Also searched on Newegg for a 4U chassis with space for a 5.25" drive but found nothing. I'd gladly take the extra connection options over the extra 4 hot-swappable drives in the Norco.

It is probably worth it to spend the extra $ now for the right case instead of trying to upgrade like I'm doing now :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Here's a link to a seller of Chenbro, a lot on their list to buy from are distributors or integrators. You won't find many case's that have the option for a 5.25 drive.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillz564 /forum/post/17055891

@miimura: This is kind of what I was looking for. I'm guessing I can use this to connect the SAS cables internally, and then run a cable to another case. I'll have to price out which is the cheapest option.

At least I've got a couple options (spend $ on larger drives and rebuild the array, or use adapters) so far. Thanks for the suggestions.

The internal-external SAS adapter you linked will connect 16 SATA drives. That's overkill for the 6 more external drives you were talking about before. They have versions that have just one or two 4-disk SFF-8087 connections. Also, don't forget you probably also want some kind of adapter at the other end of the external cable.

If you take this line of thought all the way to the end, you could use this cable and adapter kit and this 8 bay trayless hot-swap enclosure . However, I've not found that this is a cost-effective way to go. The only reason I looked at this approach is that I have an old SCSI enclosure and they have multilane and eSATA adapters that screw right into the old school Centronics enclosure cutouts.

- Mike

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike, thanks for the links. It helps me see that what is possible. However (as you said) the cost is probably prohibitive compared to other options.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Maybe something like this;

need one of each, one for each end.
http://www.addonics.com/products/mul.../connector.asp

MST-B from here
http://www.addonics.com/products/raid_system/mst4.asp

and pick 4 drive adapters from the site such as AENRHDSA35 from
http://www.addonics.com/products/com.../aechdsa35.asp

I also think there is a bigger version where you could get 6 drives installed or use the adapters listed first with another enclosure and build your own rack. In any case, you could do it with just 2 multilane cables to support the 6 drives.

You could also go with the storage tower IX and move all 16 drives to the external array. You could hang 4 straight through multilane cables out the back of your case and plug into the back of this one using the adapters I first listed.
http://www.addonics.com/products/rai.../st_series.asp
http://www.addonics.com/products/rai...e4rcs35nsa.asp

Lots of options there and the prices seem reasonable.

Peter

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshDorhyke /forum/post/17064022

Maybe something like this;

need one of each, one for each end.
http://www.addonics.com/products/mul.../connector.asp

MST-B from here
http://www.addonics.com/products/raid_system/mst4.asp

and pick 4 drive adapters from the site such as AENRHDSA35 from
http://www.addonics.com/products/com.../aechdsa35.asp

I also think there is a bigger version where you could get 6 drives installed or use the adapters listed first with another enclosure and build your own rack. In any case, you could do it with just 2 multilane cables to support the 6 drives.

You could also go with the storage tower IX and move all 16 drives to the external array. You could hang 4 straight through multilane cables out the back of your case and plug into the back of this one using the adapters I first listed.
http://www.addonics.com/products/rai.../st_series.asp
http://www.addonics.com/products/rai...e4rcs35nsa.asp

Lots of options there and the prices seem reasonable.

Peter

Thanks for the idea Josh, this is helpful. I think I could do this and be all set, right?

4x AD4SAML (Infiniband 4x Multilane bridge for SATA controller) $30ea = $120 total

(2x for current server case and 2x for add-on storage tower V)

2x Infiniband Multilane 4X cable 150 cm $60ea = $120
Storage Tower V base unit = $90

Total cost = $330 + s/h

I have a Lian Li drive enclosure that allows 3 HDD to fit in the space of two 5.25 slots. I could use one of these in the Storage Tower V base unit to get to the 6 drives I need.

If I wanted to save more $ and sacrifice cleanliness I could just purchase the Storage Tower V (ST5) and run the cables from the Highpoint 2340 Raid card directly to the drives in the ST5 (through a hole cut in my server case). This would cost about $90 + s/h but would put me back into the problem of having a messy setup. But it might buy me some more time until I could save up cash for a nice hot-swappable 4U unit

This is great, I'm getting all sorts of options and ideas I didn't even know were available

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillz564 /forum/post/17065086

Thanks for the idea Josh, this is helpful. I think I could do this and be all set, right?

4x AD4SAML (Infiniband 4x Multilane bridge for SATA controller) $30ea = $120 total

(2x for current server case and 2x for add-on storage tower V)

I think you'd want 2 of each. The PCI one is to mount in a PCI slot so 2 of them would go in 2 PCI slots on your computer case and then the other 2 non-pci mount go in cutouts in the new enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillz564 /forum/post/17065086

2x Infiniband Multilane 4X cable 150 cm $60ea = $120
Storage Tower V base unit = $90

Total cost = $330 + s/h

I have a Lian Li drive enclosure that allows 3 HDD to fit in the space of two 5.25” slots. I could use one of these in the Storage Tower V base unit to get to the 6 drives I need.

If I wanted to save more $ and sacrifice “cleanliness” I could just purchase the Storage Tower V (ST5) and run the cables from the Highpoint 2340 Raid card directly to the drives in the ST5 (through a hole cut in my server case). This would cost about $90 + s/h but would put me back into the problem of having a messy setup. But it might buy me some more time until I could save up cash for a nice hot-swappable 4U unit…

This is great, I’m getting all sorts of options and ideas I didn’t even know were available

There is a Cooler Master drive adapter 4 drives into 3 5.25" slots if you search Newegg you will find it, it costs about $22.

Why not put a notch into a PCI cover and then run the multilane cables from the card out the back of the PC. Not splitter cables that go from the multilane to SATA connectors but the straight through cables. Then, put the adapter/splitter into the new tower so those cables just plug into the back of it. Not as messy and you could then easily unplug the new case.

Peter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts