Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am building a HTPC for use with a 1080p monitor. It would be great to take full advantage of the 1080p capabilities with online content, and HDTV at the very least. Is a RAID necessary for this kind of performance?

If not, would you recommend a RAID, or am I better off with a single fast drive considering the heat & sound generated by the second HD?

Finally, I am considering an Intel RAID chip that claims that you can have a RAID 0 and RAID 1 on the same pair of drives. This seem ideal, as you could have redundancy for the OS and critical files while take advantage of increased speed for your media recording. Does anybody have experience with this?

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Raid is certainly not necssary and depeinding on how it is imnplemented could even cause you prerforamace problems. You only can get incresed transfer rates with Raid 0 if each of the drives are on their own controllers and you suffer the problem if either drive failes you loose everyting.

I recommend stichking with a Non Raid 0 solution. A Raid 1 solution, of course, is great potection against disk failure.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Frankly, unless you plan on streaming more than 1 video at a time even software controlled RAID5 will be more than enough bandwidth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.