AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i have seen a strange rainbow-like effect on my 10 days old 50" Panasonic Plasma (P50G11B), specially on high contrast screens when i move my eyes more rapidly to look at different parts of the screen.

An example... if i have a fast movement scene and keep my eyes focused on the movement i can see this rainbow-like effect on all the screen. Or if i move my eyes quickly to focus different parts of the screen that displays a still image i also see this effect.

I take a photo using the poor camera of my iphone trying to simulate the eyes movement, and a get a clear image of this effect.

This is a problem on my TV?

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english...

·
Registered
275 Posts
No, this isn't necessarily a problem with your TV. It's a problem with plasma TVs in general known as phosphor lag / trails. Some people claim to not be able to see it. The newer Panasonic VT25s seem to have less phosphor trails.

I can see it on my Kuro. At first, it was pretty annoying, but over time, I've seen it less and less. I think when you first buy a TV, you're more likely to watch it more critically and follow objects on screen, etc. This is when you see the rainbow effect thing.

I can't say for sure that it'll be better for you in the long run, but I've definitely almost gotten used to it.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I noticed phosphor lag as a green coloring on moving white objects when there is a dark background next to the white. And a different phosphor lag more like you describe when I circle the TV quickly with my eyes(like two times before I can't do it anymore) that appears like a rainbow effect with blue on the left and green on the right of everything. It is a common drawback of plasma tech but I quit thinking about it and just enjoy the TV as they can't make CRT's this big(54) and size matters. I only see PL about 5 percent of the time and more so during motocross but still happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts