AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago Mind's Eye pictures were really popular. You would stare at the pattern on the page and an image would eventually appear. I have tried and tried to see those blasted images and never have been able too. The other day I tried to see rainbows in a couple DLP projectors, but couldn't see them either. Now I am wondering: Do people who can easily see Mind's Eye images also find it easy to see rainbows in DLP projectors?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Interesting poll. I'm game.

I see both quite easily.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
-- Sorry, I don't see rainbows and could always see the hidden "mind's eye" images....

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's quite a while ago but I couldn't see what was in the "Mind's Eye pictures". Unforunately I do see rainbows in my LP-530. I don't see them when watching DVD (stand alone player) but I do see them when I use the tuner of my VCR trough component. <that should be composite of course>

p.s. It was during Men in Black. Rainbows appeared around the subtitles mostly. I don't think I'd have them when using a PC with tuner card but I'd have to test.

[This message has been edited by JHH (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I can see rainbows, but not the mind's eye pictures.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Just to add to my previous post, all 5 of us in the family see the rainbow effect, even my 4 year old son. None of us wear any eye wear.

Jeff

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hmmm... That eyewear thing might be interesting.

I NEVER try to adjust, tinker, or tweak anything while wearing my glasses as they are lightweight polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is well known for creating their own rainbows as well as distortion when looking anywhere not on-center.

I was, however, also able to see rainbows on an LT150 quite easily while wearing high-correction (my eyes are 20/900, near-sighted, no astigmatism) colored contacts (blue).

Oh yeah, the Mind's Eye. I was always able to see the Mind's Eye puzzles, but it was always tough unless I removed my glasses.

------------------

DVI/HDCP makes your HDTV not ready

[This message has been edited by jhill32 (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been able to see the Mind's eye pictures after some out of focussing my view... like looking cross eyed.

When I initially got my Dwin Transvision, I looked for rainbows because of the all the hype I wish I never read here... thank you very much!

And after some viewing I could notice the occasional rainbow and other issues to improve on. Then I did some tweaks to lens ( cutout for the light rectangle in a homebrew cover) Initial version was a dark green coffee can cover on appropriate size slice of PVC pipe to fit like lens cap. I used a black perm marker to block light on the non-cutout area. This greatly reduced the light spill halo around my home made screen.

Next I used some black non-reflective (gaffer duct tape) to do some masking around the framed screen. This helped contrast and overall picture quality. However, these initial works, though improving the picture quality ( which was already quite good -out of the box no less) didn't help reduce the occasional rainbow. I wasn't expect them too either. And yes if I moved my head and looked for the rainbow on a quick small white spot etc. I could find what was being sought for... sometimes you need to find the right speed to move your head /eyes to get in sync with the wheel. I recall a saying about ... if you look for trouble you'll be handsomely rewarded.

HOWEVER, as I continued to watch flicks, I eventually realized I was was really enjoying my system upgrades and getting into the movie with associated high quality picture and sound. YES, I was actually enjoying the movie vs "anal...yzing" the picture for quality issues. And then, once in a great while now I may see a slight/brief rainbow which I would have assumed was part of the film if not for all the rainbow press I've read. Now that I watch movies to enjoy them as intended vs spending most of the time analyzing and critiquing my set-up efforts, I may not see any rainbows for several flicks! What I'm saying is I think rainbow sensitivity may be strongly linked to the effort of analyzing the picture quality vs enjoying relaxing your eyes and thoughts and just enjoy the flick!

I can't help feel sad for those who can't do just that, or who quickly abandoned a potentially good DLP system (or other design/type with it's related compromises ) Try and just watch a movie as a movie... as you would in a commercial theater... assuming you went there to watch and enjoy vs critique their system. You might surprise yourself with how satisfying what you have really is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think this is just one of those things that's going to be different for different people.

The first time I ever saw a DLP projector, I'd never heard of "rainbows", but saw them every few seconds. I thought the thing was broken, and was amazed to find out that many/most people didn't find it a problem.

With the 9000, I spent a solid hour watching Gladiator and trying to forget about the technology... just enjoy the movie. But (for me) I wasn't able to, as the darn rainbows kept popping up when I wasn't expecting them, and reminding me about the technology I was trying to ignore.

I wouldn't make such a big point about it, but I keep seeing DLP reviews that don't even mention the rainbow effect (albeit with a "you may not notice this".) I think it's important for forum readers to be aware of the negatives as well as the positives when they're trying to decide which system is for them.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Minds Eye: takes me about 30 seconds. i do have to get my brain and eyes in the mood.

DLP Rainbows: saw them within the first 10 seconds of seeing my first DLP and said "what the hell" out loud in the theater room. Of course this scared the other people away from buying the $15,000 VX1c.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I easily see the minds eye stuff...and I easily see rainbows...on all of the DLP's I have seen. I have yet to see the 5x wheels, though, but from what I have read they are still present.

I don't know how you can't see the minds eye stuff. All you have to do is focus your eyes on a point behind the image (imaginary). Do that with your coomputer monitor, and you will see things double up because both eyes recognize the images independently. Mind's eyes are just designed so that when these images overlap correctly, you get a 3-d image. you can the same effect with a repeating windows desktop patter.

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Registered
441 Posts
Whether one sees rainbow or not depends on the type of projector one owns.

DLP owners = no rainbow

DILA or LCD owners = rainbow

Recent DILA or LCD owners who wished they bought a DLP see

really bad rainbow.

Just kidding.

Mind's eye = yes

Rainbow = no.

(Can anyone guess what type of projector I own?)

·
Registered
464 Posts
MINDS EYE- can't see them. They're for week minds ;)

Rainbows - yes. I have a DLS8 and see them rarely. I had a NEC LT80 and they were awful. I don't were glasses, but my eyes are sure tired.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.