AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading on one of these threads that a member in France only had trouble with rainbows when there were subtitles in the black bar below picture. Anybody who doesn't see rainbows in regular viewing (like me) actually see them with subtitles?

I'm tempted to bring a foreign DVD to Harveys to see if I can watch on one of their DLP projectors.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In my experience a nonmoving highcontrast image doesn't produce rainbows at all (like subtitles). Why I think subtitles makes them more pronounced is that you have to flicker your eyes from the picture to read the subtitles constantly. That will make you see more rainbows. This is just my own speculation, I don't know how rainbows occur techically.

I'm from Sweden and do whatch more movies with subtitles, but if they are in english, I prefer to have the subtitles off. As we don't have dubbing of movies here, I'm used to reading subtitles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I sometimes write somewhat incoherently, but what I mean is:

There is an increased perception of rainbows when reading subtitles. This is because of your eyes flickering more (from picture to subtitle and back). IMO. For people in Europe (and other countries where subtitling is more common) this could be important to check before getting an DLP.

I do own a DLP (1:st generation slow wheel) and I try to run without subtitles when possible. I have some chinesespeaking movies where I have to use subtitles, and then I notice rainbows more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently watched a SIM2 HT200 which has a 1x or 2x RGBW color wheel. The movie had subtitles.

I noticed that when the letters flash away, I saw flashing rainbows where the letters were standing. I found it to be quite annoying.

Some DVD-players however, have a possibility to let the subtitles appear and disappear more gradually by using some sort of interlacing technique. When this feature was turned on the problem was nearly eliminated for me.

However, because of the slow RGBW color wheel I could still se some occasional rainbows.

Cheers,

Thijs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.