AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to get a projector that the wife will let me keep, I find myself getting ever more desperate. While I am excited by the new HS-20, Z2, L500 LCDs, the screen door and washed-out blacks of most of the LCDs I've seen put me off of LCDs.

On the DLP side, I cannot deal with the rainbow factor. The 2X color wheel projectors give me all sorts of stress about whether or not I'll see them, the guests will see them, etc. Watching a movie or HDTV should be fun. Stress is not fun. I've looked at the HT-1000, and it would be about the only thing I can abandon the current CRT argument for, but the wife won't approve of my purchasing an HT-1000 straight out of the shoot. As a result, I am in a quandary. I really want an XGA or better DLP with a 3X (preferrably 4X) color wheel under $3K (street).

My dream projector (to end the argument with the wife) for the moment: XGA, DVI-I, 4X color wheel,

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not a lot of options in the $2.5K area for DLP.

If rainbows are your biggest concern, look at the Sharp PGM20X. (XGA/39dB fan/DVI/3X/)

You could always build/buy a hushbox ...

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I'll open it up to under $3K (price is not the issue here, the key is in the range beneath the HT-1000).

I take it you are completely satisfied with yours, except for the sound? What drove your choice?

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
427 Posts
Which LCD's have you seen that have put you off? At 1.5 X viewing distance, my PT-L200 shows very limited SDE (easily handled with very slight de-focus), and at 1.8X, none.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be fair, I did not do a home demo, but the ones that are featured most prominently near me are the Sony's. The HS-10 is not bad in the store, but it is not worth giving up the CRT for (at least not this week...). The HS-2 is not coming near my house. I may come back to the LCD thing, but the pro's and con's of LCDs are being talked over pretty effectively in another thread. I'm most curious about what people consider to be their driving issue with DLPs in this price range (sub-spectacular).

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
427 Posts
I did demo the X1. The picture was superb, but then again, I thing my L200 has a superb pictures. I had heard about rainbows, and with the help of the guy doing the demo, was able to see them. What was less obvious and what I couldn't put my figner on was some sort of wierd eye strain. Can't really describe it too well. Fatiquing, though.

I figured if I experienced it, likely that others might too. That was enough for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What about the Optoma H30? Since I am unable to buy the X1 because of my wife I am looking into getting the L300...I may just wait until the H30 starts getting reviews though...

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
If you're wanting to spend up to $3k then why not put another $500 with that and go with the HT1000? Sometimes saving a little means giving up a lot.
Now Bob, if you would have sold me that Sony for a buck-fifty, I wouldn't be in this predicament (alright, I'd be out of the predicament, but those're semantics...). I figure I've got about one more week before she starts upping the guerrilla war to all-out combat. Sheesh, and it's not like we ever actually USE the dining room...

Since I've got a great looking PG-6100, I'm trying to work through the fallback plan. The HT-1000 is my first choice after the PG, but it'll be a tall bar to clear with the wife. I'd love to try to talk someone at HP into jumping into this market, since everyone else seems pretty set in what they're doing and where they're going. HP's got a great chassis with VP6120, and if they just would use the 6 segment wheel out of the XP8000, it would be a HT-1000 killer (is an iris and a Faroudja doubler worth $1500...?).

Anyway, back to collecting opinions...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.