3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

BenQ refurb HT1075 for $729.99

placed 9' from a used

Elite Screens Spectrum AT Electric100H-A1080P2 for $175

and viewed from ~6.5'.

First viewing was last night.

I am having several issues with this setup.

First issue is that I see rainbows everywhere. Is there something I can do to reduce them?

Second issue is strong moire pattern on white/ish scenes/patches. Is there something I can do to reduce it?

Third issue is crawly-looking noise all over the image. Reduce?

The rainbows are distracting and the moire spoils detail on bright scenes plus the crawling noise makes it look like shifting sand.

The color looks great though.

To get the same apparent image size for the seating distance without retractable AT I am looking at 130" picture on the wall and then I have to swap front towers with wide bookshelves and manually remove the LCD every time I turn on the projector. Plus it probably needs to be AT anyway because I am using a bedspread on the wall for absorption to reduce strong reflections between front and rear wall.

Also the stove is only 10' from the left edge of the screen plus I keep the windows wide open at least 6 months out of the year in this hot third floor apartment so I expect greasy dusty buildup unless I cover the screen when not in use.

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.:)

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Rainbows are inherent to DLP and the DLPs with faster color wheels make the rainbows less noticeable. Sometimes some of the picture modes enable different speeds or don't use the white segment if your projector has one. I am not familiar with your model projector so I can't give any specific suggestions.

Moire unfortunately is a combination of weave/perf size, their rotation and the gap spacing of pixels of your projector. The only real fix is either a different projector or screen. The better screen materials don't have moire but are a lot more expensive. With fixed frame screens and the lesser materials you often rotate the screen material so the pixels and weave don't line up to cause moire and then mount the material. I am not sure if it would be possible to have Elite Screens send out replacement material that they would rotate for you. You would need a sample to see how much rotation first.

I am not sure what is causing the crawly noise. I would need to see a sample for a better guess, it could be a number of things. On dark scenes you will get a noise from seeing the DLP mirrors flip. It could be processing of the projector, receiver, source or combination. It could possibly be the HDMI but they tend to be more sparkles than crawly.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rainbows are inherent to DLP and the DLPs with faster color wheels make the rainbows less noticeable. Sometimes some of the picture modes enable different speeds or don't use the white segment if your projector has one. I am not familiar with your model projector so I can't give any specific suggestions.
Where can I find more information?

Moire unfortunately is a combination of weave/perf size, their rotation and the gap spacing of pixels of your projector. The only real fix is either a different projector or screen. The better screen materials don't have moire but are a lot more expensive. With fixed frame screens and the lesser materials you often rotate the screen material so the pixels and weave don't line up to cause moire and then mount the material. I am not sure if it would be possible to have Elite Screens send out replacement material that they would rotate for you. You would need a sample to see how much rotation first.
The material is already rotated to about 1:00 orientation clock-wise. It has a coarse weave that is plainly visible even with my uncorrected vision. I have difficulty reading typical labels on food without magnifier. I tried softening the focus but there is still moire and the picture looks worse.

I am not sure what is causing the crawly noise. I would need to see a sample for a better guess, it could be a number of things. On dark scenes you will get a noise from seeing the DLP mirrors flip. It could be processing of the projector, receiver, source or combination. It could possibly be the HDMI but they tend to be more sparkles than crawly.
Seems to be the pixels. Maybe you are right about the mirrors flipping, especially with all the moire going on... might be making it worse that it would be otherwise.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
According to Projector Central your projector has a 5x speed color wheel. Which is usually fast enough where you won't notice rainbows most of the time, only with bright objects on dark backgrounds. Most people won't notice them at all. To make sure we are talking about the same thing when we say rainbows here is an example which would be pretty bad by DLP standards. I think it is exaggerated in the video. Is this what you are seeing?

You projector manual and spec can be found on the link below. I glanced at the manual and didn't see anything obvious for settings that would affect the color wheel speed. Plus your projector does not have a white segment.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT1075.htm

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Hi everyone,

BenQ refurb HT1075 for $729.99

placed 9' from a used

Elite Screens Spectrum AT Electric100H-A1080P2 for $175

and viewed from ~6.5'.

First viewing was last night.

I am having several issues with this setup.

First issue is that I see rainbows everywhere. Is there something I can do to reduce them?

Second issue is strong moire pattern on white/ish scenes/patches. Is there something I can do to reduce it?

Third issue is crawly-looking noise all over the image. Reduce?

The rainbows are distracting and the moire spoils detail on bright scenes plus the crawling noise makes it look like shifting sand.

The color looks great though.

To get the same apparent image size for the seating distance without retractable AT I am looking at 130" picture on the wall and then I have to swap front towers with wide bookshelves and manually remove the LCD every time I turn on the projector. Plus it probably needs to be AT anyway because I am using a bedspread on the wall for absorption to reduce strong reflections between front and rear wall.

Also the stove is only 10' from the left edge of the screen plus I keep the windows wide open at least 6 months out of the year in this hot third floor apartment so I expect greasy dusty buildup unless I cover the screen when not in use.

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.:)
What is your source device, and what are the HDMI setting on that device ? The rainbow effect is lessened if I recall correctly when using the 60fps mode, ie, 1080P/60, rather than 1080P/24. Also, turn "brilliant color" to "off" on the Benq and make the lamp color temp "Cool" and mode "Smart-Eco".

I think you should tackle one problem at a time -- moire vs. rainbows. Place something large and white over the screen -- a bedsheet pulled tout and clipped to it or white butcher paper or the backside of wrapping paper. Something plain white and without the visible weave you see on that Elite. Then watch and see if it eliminates the moire and/or the rainbow effect. If it eliminates the moire, then you know your screen is not going to work for you. If rainbows are still an issue with the settings above and a non-AT plain white uniform surface, the no DLP projector is going to work for you -- there aren't any that are less RBE than the Benq.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is your source device, and what are the HDMI setting on that device ?
I tried it with Sony blu ray. The Sony has failed HDMI out so I am using the Onkyo TX-NR929 to upscale from component 1080i to HDMI 1080p. Not sure what the frame rate etc. is set to.

I usually play movies from server and reserve the Sony for internet streaming media and discs that cannot be ripped to server.

Also tried with blu ray rips through Nvidia GT730 running under Ubuntu 14.04 with Ubuntu distribution driver configured for 1080p60/30/24.

Issues are the same either from blu ray or PC.

The rainbow effect is lessened if I recall correctly when using the 60fps mode, ie, 1080P/60, rather than 1080P/24.
I cannot seem to tell much difference in rainbows with change in refresh rate. 24fps on Ubuntu with mplayer and vdpau causes creeping audio sync issue. Not sure about other players, just got this pj going a couple days ago and am still on a steep learning curve with Linux HTPC/NAS. Probably just going to keep it at 60fps.

I have noticed that the rainbows are highly dependent on the program content and eye movement. High contrast action scenes with lots of big dark areas and sharp light/dark transitions seem the worst especially in a darkened room. Projector is bright enough to use in daylight in this dark apartment.:)

Also, turn "brilliant color" to "off" on the Benq and make the lamp color temp "Cool" and mode "Smart-Eco".
Cool lamp color does not seem to help these problems any. Setting brilliant color to off seems to disable the lamp color setting but the fine adjust on color still works (not that I would know what to do with it). I read something about Brilliant Color turned off to improve contrast ratio so I already turned it off anyway. Smart Eco seems to do little or nothing different than Normal so I used plain Economic for better contrast and lamp life per forum comments elsewhere.

I think you should tackle one problem at a time -- moire vs. rainbows. Place something large and white over the screen -- a bedsheet pulled tout and clipped to it or white butcher paper or the backside of wrapping paper. Something plain white and without the visible weave you see on that Elite. Then watch and see if it eliminates the moire and/or the rainbow effect. If it eliminates the moire, then you know your screen is not going to work for you.
No moire with plain white paper. I guess I am just going to live with the moire for now because I cannot justify more expenditures at this time. The setup is experimental since this is my first front projection system.

If rainbows are still an issue with the settings above and a non-AT plain white uniform surface, the no DLP projector is going to work for you -- there aren't any that are less RBE than the Benq.
Thanks for that. I will experiment with the settings a little moire.;)

The noise issue seems like it could be compression artifact.:confused: Today I do not notice it when using the projector with this plain Ubuntu desktop, only on video playback.

I noticed that none of the 'reset settings' options on any of the menus seem to do anything at all. I have not tried to reset the lamp hours of course. Still, I would like to be able to revert to factory defaults but it is not working.:confused:

Mebbe that is why it is 'refurbished'. We looked at it and saw no issues... but did not look very hard?

Will read the manual that did not come with it and call the seller if I cannot figure this one out...

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to Projector Central your projector has a 5x speed color wheel. Which is usually fast enough where you won't notice rainbows most of the time, only with bright objects on dark backgrounds. Most people won't notice them at all. To make sure we are talking about the same thing when we say rainbows here is an example which would be pretty bad by DLP standards. I think it is exaggerated in the video. Is this what you are seeing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4kp4M2snuI
Yes that is sort of what it looks like. I never noticed any rainbows on the Mits Laservue rear projection TV. That one has 3 modulated laser LEDs and single DLP chip plus it had a great picture until the lasers started going funky.

You projector manual and spec can be found on the link below. I glanced at the manual and didn't see anything obvious for settings that would affect the color wheel speed. Plus your projector does not have a white segment.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT1075.htm
I tried changing the frame rate but did not notice change in rainbows. I will try watching a few full movies and see if I notice a difference.

Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
It's a 6x speed color wheel per PC:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_w1070_3d_home_video_projector_review.htm?page=Key-Features

I do see RBE occasionally since I'm sensitive, but it's the best among all the mid to low price DLPs out there. It's actually better than the BenQ w7000. For myself, I use SmartEco and BC set to off. My screen is a Da-lite HP 2.8g but do not notice moire and crawly noise. However, I would unload it as soon as the LG GF1500 LED projector is available (April?). The fan is noisy and there is definitely light leakage.

For the money, you cannot beat it. My main pj is a JVC LCoS 3D.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts