AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
This thread made my day. I had suffered an episode and a half on the hope that Ridley Scott would lead to amazing sci fi — or at least better than typical tv. I grew up with the original Blade Runner and Philip K dick and Asimov stories.

I concluded then that the writing was the problem as they were going for the Westworld flair (which works in that case) but thought i might be reaching that conclusion prematurely... I’m very happy to not commit any more time to a visually stunning but otherwise cliche hot mess!

More Exodus: Gods and Kings quality than even Alien covenant not to speak of Blade Runner !

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
I had suffered an episode and a half on the hope that Ridley Scott would lead to amazing sci fi
Prometheus and Alien Covenant should have already disabused you of that notion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's a mighty low bar.
Not to say either of those was good but Raised by Wolves’ bar crashed and splintered on the ground. At least Ridley has Blade Runner, Alien, Gladiator...

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
I watched the finale earlier tonight...I was expecting a few more answers to some of the S1 mysteries but we mostly got more questions...overall the show is a mixed bag with some interesting ideas...I just hope they know where they're going and have everything mapped out...showrunner Aaron Guzikowski has stated that he has a 5-6 season arc planned but who knows

I also found this tidbit from Guzikowski interesting in regards to the arrival of a new ship of Atheists, who confront Marcus...Guzikowski revealed that the ship actually belongs to the Mithraics, but the Atheists stole it, noting “It was hijacked while it was construction on Earth, so the people aboard the ship are in fact Atheists but in terms of the technology, it’s more Mithraic stuff.”

so it seems like they're trying to say that Humans originated on Kepler-22b and something caused them do devolve and eventually leave Kepler and migrate to Earth...probably having to do with Dark Photons and that mysterious voice/power who wanted the snake creature to be born

overall I give Season 1 a B- but I'm still on board for Season 2...hopefully they learned what worked and what didn't and make each episode more interesting and exciting...too many times I was bored

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Agree this show is totally BONKERS...

(that felt strangely satisfying...)

Anyone thought about the giant serpent skeleton that was at the original homestead? That was my first thought when I saw Mother give "birth" but then they showed the lamprey-like mouth which didn't jive with the giant-snake's more traditional jaw/fang structure.

Also, when mother/father passed through the core their ship was deteriorating and they themselves were shown as kinda falling apart (father had fluids coming out of his face) - yet when they emerged on the otherside both the ship and they appeared back to normal?

I've long posited that this show is trying to do something with time travel - either by virtue of the wormhole they used to get there or somehow in the planetary physics and there seems to be some evidence to support this theory what with that scene and old stuff being new and the human skull and the talk about "de-evolution" etc.

Unfortunately watching the show is like experiencing a dream - it's all very enthralling why you're in there but when you wake up and step back and think about things much of it doesn't add up.

I'm with Archi - I look forward to seeing what happens in the next season of this bonkers show.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I watched the finale earlier tonight...I was expecting a few more answers to some of the S1 mysteries but we mostly got more questions...overall the show is a mixed bag with some interesting ideas...I just hope they know where they're going and have everything mapped out...showrunner Aaron Guzikowski has stated that he has a 5-6 season arc planned but who knows
I would love to see a five season arc set in this world. Really enjoyed the first season.

That being said, I hope he has a way available to more formally conclude the series nicely at the end of any particular season, in the (likely?) event that it doesn't get renewed for as many seasons as he wants -- without doing the GoT "trick" of condensing what should have been six more seasons into 1.5 seasons.....*

--
* yes I realize GoT wasn't cancelled but that the creators wanted to get out -- I'm simply saying that if Guzikowski has to (or chooses) to end early, he will hopefully not just speed up to hit plot points but maintain the tone and pace and find a way to end gracefully.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Oh, one other thing, is Travis Fimmel perfect for this role or what? He gets to play Ragnar Lothbrook, but in space!

All confused looks and twitchy-headed hysterics and that glassy-eyed staring off camera thing he does. Also his (and his wife's) goofy mullet-do - straight out of Vikings. I only wish Lagertha would now show up, she'd be a nice counterpoint to Mother's androgyny.

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
Oh, one other thing, is Travis Fimmel perfect for this role or what? He gets to play Ragnar Lothbrook, but in space!

All confused looks and twitchy-headed hysterics and that glassy-eyed staring off camera thing he does. Also his (and his wife's) goofy mullet-do - straight out of Vikings. I only wish Lagertha would now show up, she'd be a nice counterpoint to Mother's androgyny.
That's exactly what I told my wife who never watched 'Vikings'. It's Ragnar in space! :LOL: He does have a collection of twitches, tics, head rolls and other distinctive mannerisms that uniquely characterize his acting style. Makes him perfect for this role where he's required to gradually go insane. Good casting all around.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #236

Agreed, he really nails the role. You believe there is something seriously wrong with him. Very well done.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
Niamh Algar, who plays Sue, has a prominent role on the British series Pure, which also streams here on HBO Max. Very different show, very different character. Can be a little disorienting watching them back to back. "Hey, that athiest space marine is also a lesbian magazine editor!"

According to her IMDb bio, the name Niamh is pronounced "Neev."

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
Well sure. That's what I would have guessed. :ROFLMAO:
She's Irish. Ireland and Wales have weird ideas about spelling and pronunciation. I remember being equally confounded when I learned that Ioan Gruffudd is pronouned "Yo-an Griffith."

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
She's Irish. Ireland and Wales have weird ideas about spelling and pronunciation. I remember being equally confounded when I learned that Ioan Gruffudd is pronouned "Yo-an Griffith."
I once visited Wales. I remember riding through the countryside and seeing the names of towns that might have been 10 characters long with no vowels and containing double L's. I remember wondering, how the hell do you even pronounce that? :LOL:

221 - 240 of 246 Posts