AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the early stages of planning my dedicated home theater. My room dimensions unfinished are 15.5 X 22 x 7.5. My question has to do with a raised floor for my RPTV to sit on. I am thinking of having two rows of seating with the 2nd row raised approx. 6 inches + 2 layers of 3/4" plywood. That said, does it make sense to also raise the floor so the television is sitting higher. I am concerned that the people sitting in the 2nd row would be looking down at the television. I have a 65" Toshiba widescreen.

This is my first of many posts:D

Thanks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My current RPTV is on the floor, but I used to have a 56" RPTV that was raised about 6 inches on a platform. There was some concern that I would be off the "sweetspot" of the viewing angle for screen. However, it looked fine to me. Looking back however, I will say that having the TV on a platform proved to be a huge pain!!! I hated it. Not for the viewing angle, but because this TV was my first dive into the HT world. I was constantly tweaking with my system, buying new stuff, reconfiguring cable, trying new things, etc. Having the TV on a platform made this very difficult. In my case, to get to the rear of the AV components, I would have to roll out the TV, and this is VERY VERY difficult when the TV is on a platform. I had to build a special platform on to which to roll the TV. I would keep this in my garage until needed.

Personally, I would not really worry about the 2nd row, unless that is where you plan to sit.

Anyway, something to think about.....

HTH

- Hal

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've been considering building a platform for my set as well, I do agree with Hal though, I have the same concerns about accessing the rear of the gear, that could definitely be a pain with a TV that's just over 2' deep and the 3' deep platform I plan on.

I like the idea of a removable extension though I'm not sure how much I'd use it, I have pulled my TV out once in the 5 months I've owned it now.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have seen a fair number of home theaters with RPTVs raised on a stage and masked to look just like a drop down screen for a projector. I plan to raise my TV up about 10 inches so the screen will be about the right height for a dropdown screen, then mask it with a proscenium or the like so only the screen is showing.

From my research, it gives a much better look and feel.

I do also have some concerns with viewing angle, though, as sometimes kids will be sitting on the floor or beanbags to watch movies, and I don't want to lose video....

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree, hiding the TV looks much better. With my old TV, I created a "built-in" look around the TV. No stage, but it looked nice. My AV components were above the TV, so you can see the hassle the platform provided.

I never took a digital pic with the TV in there, but here is what the cabinets looked like.

http://home.attbi.com/~khearst/ChicagoTV.jpg

Actually, from my situtation, raising the TV actually helped the picture when you were sitting in the dining room table (which is the raised area to the right). However, I would suggest, that before you do this, I would sit on the floor and see how the set looks. With my new TV (a 64" Marantz), sitting on the floor results in a poor picture. I would not want to raise that set 10 inches. However, when I am laying on the couch, it looks fine.... zzzzzzz...

- Hal

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the reponses so far.

I like empirebuilders idea of covering the TV's casing. In my case, at this point, I am thinking of using a heavy dark curtain custom cut so that it covers both sides and has a drop down from the ceiling (hopefully you can visualize that). I have a bit of room in behind where I am putting the television so getting access to the back will not be a problem. In this way, if I ever decide to put in on a raised floor I can. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My dad has done a great built in look (just waiting to get the finished pics for the collection and I'll be posting them. In that case he had a small 2ish " platform that the TV was sitting on just for effect, but the nice thing was that it was built into the area under the stairwell so there is lots of room to get in there.

In my case it will just be on the end of the room. I think that building an extension may be my best plan. That or continue messing up my knees and back as I have been doing all week working on my entertainment area. :O

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 61" RPTV is sitting on the floor with two rows of seating as you described and there are no viewing problem at all. Here are some pictures.

Front View:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rear View:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll throw in a picture of my in wall equipment rack:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the pictures Stan (buddah). Perhaps we can chat privately. I wouldn't mind asking you a few questions about the dimensions of your room, acoustical treatment used, etc. Btw, where is your system rack located? I was thinking of building mine close to the front only because some of the cable I have is quite expensive for the front and center channels (Cardas Quadlink). I think you have made my mind up for the 2nd row seating.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sure anytime. I'd be glad to help in anyway I can. My rack is in front and to the left of the front left chair. Let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.