AVS Forum banner

16141 - 16160 of 16168 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
WRAL's main signal is still available in ATSC 1.0 on RF 17.

One of the requirements is that ATSC 1.0 simulcasts must be available to 95% of the previous coverage area, so converting WRAL's larger RF 17 signal to ATSC 3.0 and using WARZ-CD for the ATSC 1.0 simulcasts was not an option.

·
Registered
150 Posts
WRAL is still available in ATSC 1.0 on RF 17 with the same coverage area they've had for years.

One of the requirements is that ATSC 1.0 simulcasts must be available to 95% of the previous coverage area, so converting WRAL's larger RF 17 signal to ATSC 3.0, and using WARZ-CD for the ATSC 1.0 simulcasts was not an option.
So, once the transition is over, will they be moving back to the main signal? What I mean is will their coverage go back to the reach 1.0 has?

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
If 3.0 catches on and there is ultimately a transition to 3.0-only service in the future, then yes, the main 17 signal would be converted.

- Trip

Reactions: idiotcontrol

·
Registered
811 Posts
I don't know if this: An Update on ATSC 3.0.
is true or not, but it says this:
Over-the-air broadcasters are going to be allowed to sunset the older ATSC 1.0 standard in 2023. That means that homes will have to replace TVs or will have to install an external ATSC 3.0 tuner if they want to continue to watch over-the-air broadcasts.

I suspect that date will slide a bit. But even then, I personally will be ticked off if I have to replace my perfectly good TV and TiVo in just two or three years from now.

A quick look at Bestbuy and most of the sets I looked at had ATSC 1 tuners in them. People buying a TV today will be even more ticked-off than me.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
There is no sunset date currently established.

- Trip

Reactions: joblo

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ugh....if they do ever sunset ATSC 1.0 in the next few years I have flashbacks of the federal coupons for free HDTV adapter boxes for older TVs.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've watched a few of the NCAA games on channel 17 (WNCN I think, CBS affiliate) this weekend. I'm watching their OTA broadcast from the Garner Antenna Farm.

I'm seeing an interesting artifact. The top two horizontal lines (not one, not three, exactly two) of the displayed image show as either a solid line or a line of dashes. When it's not solid the dashes usually move. That is, they either move in a direction, or the spaces between them change size and move in a direction. Almost always the same yellow/gold color, but can be other colors. I can't match the motion of "the line" with anything in the picture; AFAIK it's unrelated to the picture.

This happens on the main feed. It also happens on commercials, but not all. Could be it happens on national commercials and not local, IDK.

I've checked most of the other stations I can receive, and 17 is the only one doing this. So, I don't think it's on my end.

So... what is this? Other than being irritating (because it moves) it's pretty meaningless. It reminds me of the old analog era concept of an overscan error. But do HDTV signals have a concept of overscan anymore? I mean, 1080 lines is 1080 lines. Is this something that is coming from the national feed or is it a local equipment problem?

So the first thing to know is -- anyone else seeing this besides me?

I first saw this artifact on Friday, 19-Mar-2021, and it persisted through all the live NCAA basketball coverage that I saw on Saturday as well.

Whatever it is, is weird. I thought these kinds of artifacts died with analog TV. Oh well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've watched a few of the NCAA games on channel 17 (WNCN I think, CBS affiliate) this weekend. I'm watching their OTA broadcast from the Garner Antenna Farm.

I'm seeing an interesting artifact. The top two horizontal lines (not one, not three, exactly two) of the displayed image show as either a solid line or a line of dashes. When it's not solid the dashes usually move. That is, they either move in a direction, or the spaces between them change size and move in a direction. Almost always the same yellow/gold color, but can be other colors. I can't match the motion of "the line" with anything in the picture; AFAIK it's unrelated to the picture.

This happens on the main feed. It also happens on commercials, but not all. Could be it happens on national commercials and not local, IDK.

I've checked most of the other stations I can receive, and 17 is the only one doing this. So, I don't think it's on my end.

So... what is this? Other than being irritating (because it moves) it's pretty meaningless. It reminds me of the old analog era concept of an overscan error. But do HDTV signals have a concept of overscan anymore? I mean, 1080 lines is 1080 lines. Is this something that is coming from the national feed or is it a local equipment problem?

So the first thing to know is -- anyone else seeing this besides me?

I first saw this artifact on Friday, 19-Mar-2021, and it persisted through all the live NCAA basketball coverage that I saw on Saturday as well.

Whatever it is, is weird. I thought these kinds of artifacts died with analog TV. Oh well.
Some of my channels have lines on top of the screen. It depends on what screen I watch if the lines are visible. My old Samsung hides them. I bump the display up a few percent if I'm watching one of those channels in Kodi. Does it look like this?

·
Registered
357 Posts
It does look like that. Mine don't give me the variation -- mine alternate from a solid line to the kind of dashes you have on the far left, or smaller.

So, what causes that?
I believe there is information there like closed captions. I've never seen the lines on the main HD channel, only 480i subchannels.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I believe there is information there like closed captions. I've never seen the lines on the main HD channel, only 480i subchannels.
Odd, that. This is on the 17.1 main channel. The 17.3 subchannel doesn't have it. Nor do any other main or sub channels I have in regular rotation. Just 17.1 (and I suspect just the NCAA tourney broadcast, but I haven't thought to look at other programs on 17.1 until just now) which is showing that it's a 1080i broadcast, which shouldn't need any converstion for a 1920 x 1080 resolution screen.

I'll try to look at their local news tonight, see if it's there or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any new information on WARZ-CD adding PBS North Carolina for ATSC 3.0 broadcast? Supposely it was to start this week, has it happened yet? Has anything else change?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'll try to look at their local news tonight, see if it's there or not.
Finally remembered to go check on this. The local news on channel 17.1 also shows this artifiact; two lines across the very top of the frame, just like from the national broadcast. So I'm thinking this is a problem with WNCN locally, and not CBS nationally.

I don't know what's up at WNCN, but I do wish someone would fix this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’m picking up 3.0 from Raleigh this morning and it’s what I would call a poor signal day here. Last night was a great signal night as the weather front moved through. Charleston and Wilmington are weak and Columbia is non existent this morning. RF 14 3.0 stations are the only Raleigh stations coming in but it does drop occasionally. I’m 30 miles west of Myrtle Beach. Great picture on the Sony X900H!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I’m picking up 3.0 from Raleigh this morning and it’s what I would call a poor signal day here. Last night was a great signal night as the weather front moved through. Charleston and Wilmington are weak and Columbia is non existent this morning. RF 14 3.0 stations are the only Raleigh stations coming in but it does drop occasionally. I’m 30 miles west of Myrtle Beach. Great picture on the Sony X900H!

View attachment 3115876
What tuner are you using? I just ordered a HD homerun 3.0 and live in holly springs, curious to see what kind of pq I get once it gets here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

16141 - 16160 of 16168 Posts