AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any luck getting TWC in the Raleigh to give you a HD box yet? I ordered mine about 6 weeks ago and they said it would be about a month. I called again today and they said it should be another 6 weeks?? I'm pretty sure it's a SA2000HD box. Is this box behind on production or is TWC just too dumb to fill the orders correctly?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
I asked TWC in Raleigh for the HD box 6 weeks ago. I called yesterday (3-30) and was told I'm on a waiting list and there is no known delivery date. I wonder, would an off-the-shelf RCA DTC 100 work with cable? I hate to pay the $400 but who knows when Time Warner will deliver.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Hate to bring bad news, but TWC of Raleigh retransmits their HD channel in the QAM 64 form instead of passing it through in it's native 8VSB form. A store bought HD STB won't work. I get it from Fayettville which inturn gets it from Raleigh. Luckily I got the first and only TWC HD cable box in my area right before Super Bowl.

Heck though, you guys live right their at the locals towers(WRAL, WRAZ, WNCN and WTVD). You can get their channels with a store bought HD box and an antenna. I live 77 miles from their towers and get them with my rooftop antenna(installed today) good.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
And this is a surprise ?

Stuff like this is why I cut the TW cable quite a while ago. And yes, I'm a Dish customer.

WHEN I decide it's time for DTV/HDTV, I'll use my antenna system.

BTW, ALL RDU stations have their Contruction permits in, if they aren't already broadcasting.

Now if the cost of DTV tuners wasn't so much I'd have one right now <sigh>...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have TWC and the SA 2000HD HDTV cable box. I got mine in early February when TWC first installed digital cable in Carrboro.

I called at the right time, they had just got a new shipment and I was high on the list. The video and sound are good with the 2000HD so I can't complain much. And the box is the same price as the regular digital cable box. I did have DirecTV, but couldn't get local channels or HDTV because of trees. And you know how Chapel Hill and Carrboro loves trees.

If you are going to be using RGB with the cable box you need to tell them. When I got mine, they said just plug it in and it will work. Well it doesn't, TWC needs to change two jumpers inside the box.

Of course the local channels that everyone subscribes to still look the same but the "digital" channels are better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there any advantage to getting HDTV over the air instead of Time Warner cable? Especially, are there any HDTV broadcasts that TWC does not yet carry? I'm on the waiting list for a set top box from TWC but after 3 months now who knows ... so I may buy my own, such as a DTC-100, especially if there are any advantages over the box TWC will eventually provide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I originally had a DST-3000 because I had planned on switching to DirecTV. I used an antenna from Radio Shack and found it very difficult to keep a signal. I tried everything. The picture was excellent on CBS but it had too many audio and video dropouts. The signal on the DST was at 100% for most of the time and would drop down to 0% every 5 or 10 minutes. Very annoying. To top it off I have too many trees in my backyard and can't use a dish. So I returned the DST-3000 and am waiting for TWC. From what I've heard, the signal from TWC is much more stable. The only local stations they have listed on the website are CBS and Fox. I recently found, though, that they broadcast the digital versions of the local channels right before the HBO channels start.

Mike

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Well, the last time I looked at Time Warner's NC website, the only stations they were carrying digital were WRAL and WRAZ. WTVD and WNCN are supposed to be broadcasting digital (although not always HDTV) as well. As I pointed out earlier, the other stations in the Raleigh market (WRDC, WLFL, WKFT, WGAY, WRPX, and WUNC) all have their applications in for construction

permits for their digital facilities.

Channel assignments (OTA) DTV

call - DTV - NTSC

WRPX - 15 - 47

WRDC - 27 - 28

WKFT - 38 - 40

WRAY - 42 - 30

WRAZ - 49 - 50

WTVD - 52 - 11

WRAL - 53 - 5

WNCN - 55 - 17

WLFL - 57 - 22

WUNC - 59 - 4

Note that most of the Raleigh market assignments are in the 52 - 59 range - which means they will probably be going back to their old NTSC assignments when the DTV transition is complete and NTSC is finally shut off.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scooper:
....(snip)...Note that most of the Raleigh market assignments are in the 52 - 59 range - which means they will probably be going back to their old NTSC assignments when the DTV transition is complete and NTSC is finally shut off.
Scooper...can you expand on this or refer one to a reference URL? Post transition, which channel assignments can be abandoned vice those that cannot? I have read snippets before on this but never a clear explanation. I can see that a station returning to their "public identity" might be desirable but would that not entail them to change their antenna again?

·
Registered
73 Posts
TWC is carrying the following HD channels.

WRAL (CBS) 255

WRAZ (FOX) 250

WTVD (ABC) 211

PBS (playback loop) 201

Showtime 445

HBO 406

Haven't seen NBC yet, but I watched HD on all of them yesterday. Of course they all aren't 1080i, but they are there. So TWC is mostly keeping its promise of carrying all HD channels.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I've read in other places/ here, that the FCC plans on reselling the spectrum space from channel 52-69 (the 70-82 is already gone) for uses like additional mobile phone use, etc. However, they can't do that until the incumbent (in this case Broadcast TV) is completely off those frequencies. So, the FCC is doing this in steps - as mentioned, they already auctioned off the extremely high UHF, they are getting ready to sell 60 & up, and the 52-59 range will go when vacated.

The DTV transition will be over in the latter of 2006 or when 85% of a TV market can recieve DTV by some means (this could be cable downconverting, DBS, OTA DTV like is happening now). At the end of the transition, the broadcast owners get to choose which channel to give back to the FCC, subject to some restrictions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.