AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m finding it difficult to find this level of detail regarding the ASUS CUSL2-C motherboard. Exactly what types of RAM can it take, and what are the ramifications for mixing and matching types of DIMMs?

The board has 3 slots for RAM, but a maximum capacity of 512MB. The only way that it’s possible to use all 3 slots and max out the capacity would be to have one 256MB module and two 128MB modules. I would assume that two 256MB modules would also work.

I have some spare 128MB modules that I can cannibalize from an existing PC. The question is, if I buy one 256MB module and use it with two 128MB modules, would there be any performance or (more importantly) reliability issues versus using two 256MB modules? What if there is a difference in the latency rate (i.e. the 256MB modules are CL=2 while the 128MB modules are CL=3?

Any help would be much appreciated.

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ggolamco:

...Exactly what types of RAM can it take, and what are the ramifications for mixing and matching types of DIMMs?
You can use PC100 or faster memory (including using PC100 with 133MHz FSB). I have mixed a number of DIMM types with no problems.
Quote:
The board has 3 slots for RAM, but a maximum capacity of 512MB. The only way that it’s possible to use all 3 slots and max out the capacity would be to have one 256MB module and two 128MB modules. I would assume that two 256MB modules would also work.
Not exactly. You are allowed to have 4 'sides' of RAM. If your 128Mb chips are double sided you would not be able to combine them as you say. Also, Intel specs only using 2 memory slots for 133MHz operation - the CUSL2's are the only board so far that will let you use 3 chips at that speed without causing instability.
Quote:
I have some spare 128MB modules that I can cannibalize from an existing PC. The question is, if I buy one 256MB module and use it with two 128MB modules, would there be any performance or (more importantly) reliability issues versus using two 256MB modules? What if there is a difference in the latency rate (i.e. the 256MB modules are CL=2 while the 128MB modules are CL=3?
The 'worst' CAS timing will need to be used by all the chips. As a consolation, although the CAS2 chips are nice and will likely be of higher quality, the CUSL2 has issues with CAS2 timings. I have to run my CAS2 RAM at CAS3 for 3chip/137MHz operation in this board, but no other.

I am running a 128Mb and 2x64Mb with no problem, but if you can afford 2x256Mb PC133 CAS2 (total of maybe $130 shipped, on 2001.06.07) you should get it.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Iocon:

___I could not have said it any better …

___Ggolamco: The 512 MB limit is due to the I815 chipset itself. It will only cache this amount of SDRAM. After that amount, you can expect a slowdown when adding any additional. When Anandtech first tested this board, it was the first I815 he had tested that could handle all 3 DIMM’s being populated without instability. As for myself, I currently have 1-256 MB and 1-128 MB DIMM of Micron PC133 CAS2 but have had 512 MB’s with all 3 DIMM’s populated at CAS2 without any problems using a 135 MHz FSB. I have had many HTPC’s go out with 2-256 MB DIMM’s of the same without a problem.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.