AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend, I had a -RAM issue. This is the first time such a thing has happened, and I need to know if you all think that my recorder is going out, or maybe I just had a glitch, or what.

I was copying stuff off the HDD of my EH55, onto -RAM disks. The disks I was using are fairly unusual. As far as I know, I am the only person who uses Verbatim DVD-RAM 5x disks. Anyway, I burnt over ten of them without a problem. These came formatted as computer data disks, so after my EH55 attempts to read them, it says that they need to be formatted, and I format them, and use them. Like I said, over ten of these with no problem.

I put in another new one, it asks to format it, I say yes and the machine says "FORMAT FAILED". I tried again, same result. I have never seen this before, but I assume it CAN happen, so I put in another -RAM disk and it formats and works fine. I needed one more to complete the project, so I get one out of my used strack. It has stuff on it, so I can erase it all, or format the disk. For some reason, I selected format, and it said, "FORMAT FAILED" again, on a disk I had previously used!

After this, I got another -RAM disk and this time, just erased the titles and dubbed the last items without a problem. I also burned a T-Y normal DVD -R, also without a problem.

I took the failed disks to another DVD recorder (my EH68) and tried to format them, and the 68 said "FORMAT FAILED" for both of them. For good measure I tried another recorder I have, and got the same thing. I have a computer LG multi format drive that says it is -RAM 5x compatable. When I put the disks in that drive, it does not even acknowledge that there is a disk present.

Is my EH55 going out, and permanently damaging the -RAM disks? Did I just get some bad ones? Any thought or suggestions welcome. Should I return the failed disks to Verbatim?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Have you checked for possible specks of dust on the underside? Whether or not you see anything, try gently washing the disc with lukewarm soap water, gently rubbing the write side (and the center ring) with soapy wet fingers, then dry them off with a very soft cloth.

Hmm... after the format attempt failed, could the contents of the used discs still be played?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I also suggest gently washing as the first thing to try. I had a Panasonic RAM disc act up and washing solved the problem. I read about washing them some time ago. I then proceeded to wash all my old RAM discs just to make sure I did not have problems in the future.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I cleaned the two disks carefully, but thoroughly. I inspected the surfaces with a magnifying glass and they were perfect, as far as I could tell. When I tried to format them after they had dried, the format still failed.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
929 Posts
No solution, but I can help you weep.

I ran into similar behavior with some -RW's. After using some successful ones, I recycled the "FORMAT FAILED" and eventually all but one did format. That one left a quasi-permanent "FORMAT FAILED" that would flash before almost every function on the screen--- in one case, they flashed for several months before it finally healed itself. I don't mess with that RW any more.

·
Registered
13,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/17013733

I have a computer LG multi format drive that says it is -RAM 5x compatable. When I put the disks in that drive, it does not even acknowledge that there is a disk present.

That makes me most suspicious about the RAM. My E-85 has been known on occasion to screw up the format on a RAM disk so that it is neither readable nor can be re-formated on the E-85. In those cases, inserting the RAM into my LG PC-burner has always mounted the disk and the PC requested it to be formatted as FAT-32. After PC format I've always been able to bring it back to the E-85 and re-format it for video. Do you have any Panasonic 3X RAMs to work with.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kelson, I have many Panasonic 3x -RAM disks to work with. Are you merely suggesing I use them instead of the 5x disks, or do you have another plan?

What I am mostly worried about is the possibility that the DVD drive in my EH55 is going out. If it is, I need to have it repaired while the $130 flat rate for repairs is still in effect.

·
Registered
13,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/17022190

Kelson, I have many Panasonic 3x -RAM disks to work with. Are you merely suggesing I use them instead of the 5x disks, or do you have another plan?

Church, that is exactly what I am suggesting. If the 3X work with no problems in both recorders and PC drive than you have your answer -- 5X coasters. Perhaps Verbatim is buying chinese RAM disks.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Exactly how "used" was the disc? 5x RAM's have can only be re-written on an estimated 10,000x, compared to 3x's 100,000x.

Of course, those are only estimates, but the point is, it's designed for much less.

That's why I've always stuck with 3x myself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's not hard data to go on, but a few weeks before the DVD-RAM drive in my EH75V died, it had issues formatting some DL +R media (BB store Dynex brand). I was able to use them sucessfully about 8 times, but then 1 failed on formatting, then two burned OK, then 2 failed on formatting, then 1 burned OK (last DL I needed since). Every time one failed, I shut the machine down, restarted and tried to format again, but it stopped at the same percentage. Shortly after that, my drive died. It could very well be they were crappy media, but up until that point I'd never had any media fail a format. I've never burned any RAM discs with my unit.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, as usual, nothing is as it seems. First, my computer DVD drive won't recognize ANY -RAM disks, even though it says it will. That leaves me without a neutral test bed for comparison purposes.

The first -RAM disk was brand new, and did not format. The second one had been used only once, so it is not a matter of wearing out. When I bought these, there were sites clearly stating that these were good for 100000, not 10000 writes. Verbatim has changed packaging, and I can't find a reference now to any re-write limit. It merely says what the insert in these disks say, a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/17027029

Verbatim has changed packaging, and I can't find a reference now to any re-write limit. It merely says what the insert in these disks say, a lifetime warranty.

With many products a lifetime warranty applies as long as the product works. If a product fails its lifetime is over. End of warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
5x DVD RAM use more power, more wear on the laser. The laser in that maybe losing pep. Like when a laser pointer fades after a bit of use.

The 10,000 rewrites is academic. They need more power to write, like a 16x speed DVD -R burn, over a 8x burn.

I assume you did a lot of high speed (5x) HDD to DVD RAM transfers. Or the laser is just burning out. (Sorry about the pun).

If ya can test the laser output we could know its that for sure, but we can't easily without the repair manual and test bench equipment.

Looks like the flat rate is the option.

I've made my share of coasters out of RW and RAM in screwy burners. I feel much more sense of loss at losing a RAM disk than any -R.

·
Registered
13,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/17027029

Well, as usual, nothing is as it seems. First, my computer DVD drive won't recognize ANY -RAM disks, even though it says it will. That leaves me without a neutral test bed for comparison purposes.

Are you running at least Win-XP SP-2

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansiz /forum/post/17027860

5x DVD RAM use more power, more wear on the laser. The laser in that maybe losing pep. Like when a laser pointer fades after a bit of use.

The 10,000 rewrites is academic. They need more power to write, like a 16x speed DVD -R burn, over a 8x burn.

I assume you did a lot of high speed (5x) HDD to DVD RAM transfers. Or the laser is just burning out. (Sorry about the pun).

I really use -RAM rarely. I almost exclusively use -R 8x disks. I don' tknow how many hours are on this laser. How do I foind out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/17027961

Are you running at least Win-XP SP-2

Yes, that's what I am running.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/17029198

I really use -RAM rarely. I almost exclusively use -R 8x disks. I don' tknow how many hours are on this laser. How do I foind out?

I'm not sure if those machines have an 'hours on' kind of reporting. But with the mileage ya prolly put on the machine ya prolly done wor' it out. The third dvd burner I got a ways back, some sony 2.5/4x job, had its laser poop out on me. Its got a resting place with the other retired paperweights. Consumer units just mostly aren't built for the long haul. There is no need for it, cept course when we have to transfer all the DVDs to [insert new stupid media format here].

It maybe a few other things, too. A trip to the pana flat rate repair for a tune up maybe where its headed.

BTW, If I bought a 99cent broken ag-1980 from ebay, would sending it for $130 flat rate repair be worth it?

·
Registered
148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/17027284

With many products a lifetime warranty applies as long as the product works. If a product fails its lifetime is over. End of warranty.

I ran into this with a back pack once. Why not just say its the lifetime of a mayfly?

I have had two Fuji -RAMs go bad. One can be formatted with no problem, except that, once formatted, it has a capacity of zero bytes. But, no "format failed" message.

Another one I thought had been messed up by DVD Movie Album, so I tried doing a low-level format of it in Windows

1 - 18 of 18 Posts