AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Man I am going to add this to my Netflix Q... been soooo long since I have seen it last. This thread got me all excited again. I remember it being a much better film then the second but I will check it out again

Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think Rambo: First Blood part II is better than part I. I tend to like more films with light, even though I also like part I very much I prefer part II. I will soon get my first HD DVD Rambo II!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I agree I enjoyed first blood very much. I didn't even bother with the other two films because I know they have nothing to do at all with the first one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
They're making a new Rambo movie now? I didn't know that. I don't recognize the picture that was attached to the post above, so I guess that's from the new show.

I would have to say though, it looks like they went cheapo on the snake-handler consultant. That doesn't look like the safest way to hold a cobra!

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig /forum/post/12146220

They're making a new Rambo movie now? I didn't know that. I don't recognize the picture that was attached to the post above, so I guess that's from the new show.

I would have to say though, it looks like they went cheapo on the snake-handler consultant. That doesn't look like the safest way to hold a cobra!

SAFE?!? It's Rambo!

·
Registered
409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx /forum/post/12142947

I promised I didn't read past THIS post.................Rambo says, "Name it".

Odd... I always thought he said "Everything".

And unless the online script AND on disc subtitles are wrong, that's what he says.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
on disc subtitles can often be very wrong.

I loved the original, "First Blood", was not called Rambo anything back then.

Actually "Rambo" was subtitled "First Blood part 2"

The new one might be ok. Rocky Balboa I think surprised alot of people and got mostly good reviews. I thought it was great.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aC39 /forum/post/12146585

Odd... I always thought he said "Everything".

And unless the online script AND on disc subtitles are wrong, that's what he says.

The online script is not the actual shooting script, so it is not a definitive answer by any means. Also, subtitles are never always right. Plus, different versions of the film have different subtitles as well. The copy you have or are referring to may say that he says "Everything", but others also say that he says "Name it". The Blu-ray release being one of them.

Here is the clip that I have slowed down. I took a wav clip ripped from the DVD, slowed the tempo down to -85 in Audacity. Here it is http://www.mediafire.com/?7kndzw2nele

·
Registered
774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggs /forum/post/12140604

Wow.. it had been a few years since I'd seen this movie. Why can't they make "action" films like this anymore. I mean it bares no resemblence to modern action films. It has true character development, a deep plot, storyline, social commentary etc etc.

The film was shot wonderfully, dark colours, you can really feel the winter and the scenery is lovely. It does look much better in HD-DVD than it did on DVD (it looked good on DVD too).

Alot of the movie is dark, so its not going to punch you out with bright high def colours, so don't buy this thinking you have a demo disk.

What you do have is something which really looks like film. No edge enhancement, natural smooth detail. I really like it, wish I had a CRT projector to enjoy it on, as its a completely analog type presentation.

So if your into classic films as opposed to blockbusters, make sure you rent/buy yourself a copy. Stallone as a scerious actor.

I still havn't seen Rambo II and III. I don't really want to as I think it will spoil the legacy of the first. Its a film that ends, and wasn't ever designed for a sequel.

Daniel.

I agree, Rambo-First Blood doesn't need a sequel. However, I enjoy all three, have seen them several times. They have a certain appeal to me, partly because of the fact that all 3 were banned in the former communist East Germany. You should at least give the second film a try.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Technically, the movie is called First Blood. Rambo was only added to the title after the sequels were made. Alone, it's a pretty damn good film. They went cheap with the hype in cheesy action movies of the time and somehow thought the Rambo character would be perfect as the new action hero--never the original intent.

This is one of those cases were the original is in a different league from its sequels, they are almost different genres.

Although...I still love the wonderful irony in Rambo 3 where Stallone is helping the Taliban "freedom fighters" fight their war against the evil Russians. good stuff.

·
Registered
535 Posts
OK, I did it. I just ordered the French HD DVD of Rambo First Blood. After weeks of debating about importing this title, I couldn't take it anymore. I really like this movie and that is the bottom line. I can't wait for it to arrive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Two things about First Blood:

1. At the end when the Colonel (Richard Crenna) walks into the decimated sheriff's station and Rambo states why he went to "War" with the sheriff is the most emotional part of the film for me. In that 5 minutes of tirade he is able to say what the vast majority of Vietnam Vets wanted to tell America at that time. To this day this Vietnam Vet, well let me just say thank you Mr. Stallone for making this movie.

2. Alternate ending I'd love to see: A panning away shot of the town and when the camera is high enough in the sky a shot of the roads leading into the town full of Vietnam vets on bikes and whatever coming to the aid of a VV like themselves, similiar to the ending of Field of Dreams.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance F /forum/post/12175572

Two things about First Blood:

1. At the end when the Colonel (Richard Crenna) walks into the decimated sheriff's station and Rambo states why he went to "War" with the sheriff is the most emotional part of the film for me. In that 5 minutes of tirade he is able to say what the vast majority of Vietnam Vets wanted to tell America at that time. To this day this Vietnam Vet, well let me just say thank you Mr. Stallone for making this movie.

That scence was my favorite of the movie. I'm not a VV, but that scene was very powerful to me. Loved First Blood!

·
Registered
774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx /forum/post/12176124

Great movie. I've got all 3 on HD-DVD. As well as a few of the DVD versions laserdisc and DVHS

They should release a nice trilogy boxset of the HD DVDs. Your mention of the laserdisc reminds me of the japanese LD boxset sitting somewhere in the basement. Have to watch it for the sake of the good old laserdisc times

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
its odd I've got first blood on laserdisc and its the japanesse version as well I picked it up at a used book store for $3 bucks a few years back. Don't have 3 on LD but may pick up the trilogy. First blood has made it to just about every fomat out their oddy enough.

Anyway prehapps I will watch the HD-DVD set tonight never got around to watching 2 and 3 in HD. I've watched first blood a few times already.

I may get the BD used just to add to my on going first blood collection.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts