AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be getting a lot of bass from my surrounds. Not sure why. Also for those of you who have an Onkyo receiver...how do you set your speakers to a small setting so that most of the base is sent to the sub?

·
Premium Member
14,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime316 /forum/post/18156659

I seem to be getting a lot of bass from my surrounds. Not sure why. Also for those of you who have an Onkyo receiver...how do you set your speakers to a small setting so that most of the base is sent to the sub?

Onkyo doesn't use the "Small" terminology. (They found it gave too many men "shrinkage"!)

With an Onkyo receiver, you just set a crossover. That's the same as setting your speakers to Small.

You say you're getting too much bass from the surrounds. What is the crossover set to for the surrounds? Where are they positioned?

Craig

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime316 /forum/post/18156659

You could be getting the bass in your surrounds because they are set to "Full band". Onkyo basically calls speakers that are set as large "Full band". I'm not sure which Onkyo receiver you own, but on my Onkyo HT-RC160, you can change the speakers to small by going to "Speaker configuration". There is no actual "small" setting in there, but you can adjust the speaker crossover which is basically setting the speakers to small.

EDIT: Craig beat me to it. I got a phone call right in the middle of my reply.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

It seems that the fronts were set to full band and all other speakers were set to like 40hz. Well the sub was set at 100hz.

Any suggestions? The surrounds used to be up on the wall but I now have them on stands. They are only a couple feet off to each side of listening position.

The surrounds are Polk Audio M30's so they aren't rinky dink surrounds. They're fully capable of being mains.

·
Registered
30,174 Posts
if you don't want bass to go to the surrounds, raise the crossover. I thought that was pretty clear from the above. Try an 80Hz crossover for all channels, you really don't want any of your satellite speakers to be "full band" when you have a subwoofer.

and, no offense intended, but the Polk M30's are smallish, entry-level bookshelf speakers with 5.25" woofers, in the speaker world that is still "rinky dink"
they certainly have no business having a 40Hz crossover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.