AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen on many flat panels the "film-like" image that they can produce. I'm not sure there's a better way to put it but it's almost as if people are floating across the screen as they move. What causes this? 1080p, 24Hz, 240 refresh rate??? I'm not sure where I stand with it yet but is there a projector that can reproduce this type of image?

dbl

·
Registered
387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare /forum/post/19598125

I've seen on many flat panels the "film-like" image that they can produce. I'm not sure there's a better way to put it but it's almost as if people are floating across the screen as they move. What causes this? 1080p, 24Hz, 240 refresh rate??? I'm not sure where I stand with it yet but is there a projector that can reproduce this type of image?

dbl

Its caused by the 240hz refresh rate that its used in many ways...for 5:5 pulldown processing or with frame interpolation..... and its a way compensate or eliminate motion judder due to the slow 24hz or 24 frames per second of film. You can notice this more on slow panning scenes. Especially with letters. But using this would not be reproducing the theater viewing experience.

There a lot more to this...you can read these article for more information.

1) http://www.projectorcentral.com/frame_interpolation.htm

2) http://www.projectorcentral.com/judder_24p.htm

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare /forum/post/19598125

dbl

That's not film, that's video. It is commonly called the "Soap Opera Effect" because it changes the nature of the film cadence (24 fps) in to an ultra smooth video look (30fps/60fps).

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I've checked out the links too. After some reading around, it looks as if most are in the same boat I am. Not sure if they like it or not yet.....

Thanks again

dbl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts