AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. I should order a swatch of the Stewart Studiotek 1.3 gain material to compare it with my GrayHawk.

I have to say that my balcks are pretty darn good with my GrayHawk and my G15.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
John,

It was great to meet you. We should do this again.

I have to agree about the Grayhawk split-screen demo. Definitely an eye-opener. I had previously thought that it was simply a gray screen. NOT SO. If anyone out there thinks that is all there is to a GrayHawk screen, please try to find out more about the GrayHawk's "StudioTek" coating, which is a major piece of the puzzle.

I also agree that the Stewart folks were the most friendly and helpful people I met at the show. Don Stewart spoke with us at length about the entire industry, and it was great to hear his opinion on things.

Thanks, Don!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've done a side-by-side of Stewart's ST130 and Greyhawk, using a Sony 10HT. The colors and blacks were noticeably better with the GH, and the whites were less noticeably better with the ST. I'd pick the GH, for a reasonable price premium.

I've measured the IF 350 and 130. For the units I had, the 350 was lower than spec but the 130 was right on (which is rare). Based on a very limited sample, I certainly wouldn't say they're conservative, but I wouldn't say they're fudging either.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
Both milori and I attempted to take digital pictures of the split screen image. I haven't uploaded mine from the camera yet, but we may soon have some pics to show you. Don't know if the pics will do the screen demo justice, but it was worth a shot.

Paul

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
After walking the floor here for hours and hours everything starts top look the same.Frankly, I have not seen any projectors in the value arena ($2,500-$5,000) that would add significant performance over the many discussed here regularly.

I have a 52X92 grayhawk which I have not installed yet. Stewart had a marvelous booth and the 50/50 demo screen with 1/2 grayhawk and 1/2 matte was an eye opener.Now I have to put it up soon.I,d also like to comment that the personnel at Stewart were outstanding and quite knowlegdeable. I now have very little confidence in any manufaturers so called rated contrast ratios.

Also I had an at length discussion on Lamp prices with the Bulbman at Bulbman.com. I know we think there is price gouging in the lamp arena and even many of us have joked of building our own plant. Parish the thought. It is not a supply problem and there really is not any price gouging going on throughout the whole genre so to speak. There may be inflated prices in a couple areas, but margins are slim and maufacturing is plentiful. Don't sell the farm to build a lamp plant!

Also talked with the INFOCUs 530 developer. IT is a nice unit but not heads an tails above their current offerings as far as HT is concerned. Loved the projectors look and RLSMITH and I thought it was a nice contender.Keep in mind here you are paying for 2000 ANSI lumens in a DLP so that is where your money is going. I did mention to him I thought the LP340 and LP350 ANSI rating was exaggerated. He stated INFOCUS is very conservative. DIdn't buy that one. THE LP340 and LP350 are not 1300 ANSI and I doubt the 530 is 2000 ( comments based upon head to head veiwing of NECvt540 1000ANSI rated LCD machine being clearly the brighter)

It was nice to meet some fellow Avscience members here. We are certainly not the market that this show is built around so we are kind of oddballs around here.(no personal attacks intended)

Well gotta go since they are charging me to use the computer here.(my son accidently smashed my SOny Vaio laptop screen!) I am not portable at this time.

Regards,

JOhn Andrews

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
it was worth a shot.
Good one, Paul!

I will upload pictures when the trip is over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.