AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please accept my apologies if this question has been answered many times before but I failed to find any previous discussion on this topic using a search and I don't have the stamina to read all the eleventy gazillion previous posts in this forum...

I am able to play FLAC files on my Oppo BDP-95EU via a wifi connection to my PC, using JRiver Media Center as a DLNA server. However, I have just tried playing one of the same FLAC files copied to a USB dongle that is plugged into the front panel of the Oppo and I get random pauses of several seconds, during which the elapsed time counter comes to a halt. During the first four minutes of this track I have had about four of these pauses.

Can anyone offer any explanation?

David

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999  /t/1469091/random-pauses-when-playing-flac-from-usb-dongle#post_23224814

Please accept my apologies if this question has been answered many times before but I failed to find any previous discussion on this topic using a search and I don't have the stamina to read all the eleventy gazillion previous posts in this forum...

I am able to play FLAC files on my Oppo BDP-95EU via a wifi connection to my PC, using JRiver Media Center as a DLNA server. However, I have just tried playing one of the same FLAC files copied to a USB dongle that is plugged into the front panel of the Oppo and I get random pauses of several seconds, during which the elapsed time counter comes to a halt. During the first four minutes of this track I have had about four of these pauses.

Can anyone offer any explanation?

David

Try asking this in the owner's thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1311806/official-oppo-bdp-95-owners-thread

USB is usually more reliable than network, not less. Could you try a different stick and see if you get the same results? (You're using a standard USB thumb drive, right? A dongle would be something else).

It's possible the DLNA server is transcoding the file to something the player likes better, but we would need to research the details.

-Bill

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bill,

The DLNA server was configured to make no changes to the audio file format and the Oppo display on my TV identified the file as a FLAC for both the DLNA and USB inputs.

In my experience, there are loads of different names for that memory thingy with a USB connector (including USB dongle, though I am aware that 'dongle' also has a more specific meaning in the IT world). I suspect I use a different name every time I refer to one...

However, I have just tried another USB Flash Drive (see what I did there?) and it worked fine with the same FLAC file. I guess not all JumpDrives have the same capabilities, though I have only ever been aware of capacity and speed as the primary parameters. I would not have thought that audio required a high speed Memory Stick but perhaps I am mistaken.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.