AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

About 3 weeks ago one of my front speakers started to pop randomly. It doesn't matter if the system is on or off. It's a single pop that might happen once or twice a day...maybe more, but several hours will go between pops.

I have an Onkyo 805 receiver and Klipsch reference tower speakers. I think it's the right speaker but I'm not totally sure...I've only heard it from the next room.

Could this be a static build-up type of deal? We just moved into a new house about 2 months ago and have wood floors now.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A.D.A.M,

I'm pretty sure I said...wait, let me check. Yep..."I think" and "I'm not totally sure". At no point did I say "narrowed it down". And besides the fact that it's obviously the sound of a speaker, does it really matter at all which one it is?

I'm sure there are folks who have worked with audio equipment for a long period of time and know exactly what I'm talking about.

I either have a receiver with a channel that's going bad, a speaker going bad, a bad connection or, I'm hoping, something to do with static electricity or interference.

There are folks on this forum with much more experience in audio equipment than I have, and I'm sure one of them will be able to lend some good advice and realize that if there were anything else pertinent to the troubleshooting equation, I've already done it.

One other thing I should mention. These speakers do have the built in, side-firing subs. So they're always plugged in. Little light on the bottom turns green when they're getting signal, red when they're not. Maybe the amplifier in the speaker is going bad? The closest thing I could compare the sound to is how sometimes a subwoofer in a car audio system will pop when it power up.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Are the receiver and the two speakers plugged into the same AC power wall outlet?

If not try hooking them up to the same outlet using extension cords and a power strip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
have you checked the lights on the subs to see if they are green when you hear that sound during the times the system is off?

I had a KLIPSCH 10 inch, and a KLIPSCH 12" sub that both did this. They would turn on and off at random, like they were receiving a signal from something. Turned out they were both defective, and i returned them.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
You can narrow it down by unplugging everything except one speaker. If you hear a pop, you know that one does it. Repeat with all the others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.